Director of Media Relations
- Full Time
Drive Excellence in Public Affairs at NewYork-Presbyterian
Director of Media Relations
Step into New York’s #1-ranked hospital, and experience a career that builds on our reputation as a world-class organization. Across seven nationally renowned campuses, your leadership will be essential to the success of numerous media initiatives that help maximize our visibility and enhance our relationship with the public. From our new digital newsroom to many other exciting projects, you have the unique opportunity to bring our achievements to the forefront, while reminding us every day of our mission: Putting Patients First. Find out how you can Make It Possible.
The Director of Media Relations will play an instrumental role in communicating the vision and values of the organization, along with the organization’s ongoing success and reputation locally and nationally. The Director will assist in leading the development of the organization’s overall public relations and communications strategy. The successful candidate will build and sustain a positive, high-performance, process-oriented and outcomes-driven team. Reporting to the Vice President of Public Affairs, the Director will work collaboratively with leadership to develop and implement communications strategies that broaden the impact of NewYork Presbyterian Hospital.
In this role as the Director of Media Relations, you will oversee and manage the media team strategy and deliverables. Develop integrated communications plans along with Marketing, Internal Communications, Social Media, Editorial, Government and Community partners to advance NewYork-Presbyterian’s mission and broaden awareness of its programs and priorities. Cultivate and maintain strong media relationships and enhance meaningful relationships with relevant external constituents. Lead and assist on Crisis Communications and Emergency Management. Maintain a keen understanding of industry trends and make appropriate recommendations regarding media strategy. Manage and oversee press conferences, special events and special projects designed to promote the hospital to its internal and external audiences. Collaborate daily with academic medical center counter parts at Weill Cornell Medicine and Columbia University Irving Medical Center on strategic initiatives and approvals. Arrange and direct the on-call schedule for the office and be on-call on a regular basis to manage the 24/7 media operation.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and presentation skills
- Existing relationships with key local and national health care reporters
- Extensive knowledge of digital platforms which include blogging and social platforms
- Demonstrated ability to build consensus on strategies and messages among peers and across different reporting structures
- College degree in English, Journalism, Communications, or a related field
- Seven to ten years of public relations experience with an agency or in an academic/medical environment or seven to ten years’ experience as a member of the press
- Strong leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills to direct work, instill trust and drive engagement
Join a hospital where employee engagement is at an all-time high. Enjoy competitive compensation along with benefits such as tuition reimbursement, hospital retirement contributions, and financial planning assistance. Start your life-changing journey today.
- #1 in New York, "America's Best Hospitals 2017-2018" - U.S.News & World Report
- 2017 “Best Large Workplaces in New York.” - Great Place to Work and Fortune
- 2017 “America’s Best Employers.” - Forbes
Discover why we're #1 in New York and a best employer at: nyp.org/careers