- Full Time
Macmillan Publishers is a global trade book publishing company with prominent imprints around the world, publishing a broad range of award-winning books for children and adults in all categories and formats. Macmillan Publishers is committed to our authors, our employees, and to the environment.
U.S. publishers include Celadon Books, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Flatiron Books, Henry Holt & Company, Macmillan Audio, Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group, Picador, St. Martin's Press and Tor Books. In the UK, Australia, India, and South Africa, Macmillan publishes under the Pan Macmillan name. The German company, Holtzbrinck Deutsche Buchverlage, includes among its imprints S. Fischer, Kiepenheuer and Witsch, Rowohlt, and Droemer Knaur.
Macmillan Publishers is a division of the Holtzbrinck Publishing Group, a large family-owned media company headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to reflecting a broad representation of differences --race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective — in our workplace. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Macmillan Publishing Group, LLC
Media Planner is a mid-level role responsible for planning and buying paid ads across digital, outdoor, broadcast, and print. The Media Planner is responsible for collecting and analyzing data, thinking creatively, and developing innovative strategies to make sure each book’s marketing campaign reaches the right target audience in the most efficient way possible.
• Create media plans based on departmental strategic objectives and each book’s unique requirements.
• Collect campaign data. Analyze and report on campaign performance. Report data to central database and utilize learnings for future planning.
• Analyze audience data and media channel data—including digital, outdoor, broadcast, and print media—and apply learnings to campaign recommendations.
• Negotiate best costs possible to ensure campaign efficiency and book media.
• Communicate ad specs, deadlines, and best practices to Creative Services Team members.
• Participate in marketing meetings to share learning and expertise.
Required Skills / Knowledge:
• Ability to develop, manage, and communicate effective media plans on tight budgets
• Experience managing budgets, and re-balancing plans as budgets shift
• Ability to negotiate the best rate
• Ability to manage multiple campaign plans under tight deadlines
• A keen interest in media and awareness of the shifting media landscape
• Strong written communication skills
• Possessing an ‘Entrepreneurial Spirit’—the ideal candidate brings new ideas and solutions to the group and is interested in emerging technologies and best practices
• 3-5 years experience as a media planner at an advertising agency, or related experience
• Book industry knowledge a plus, but not a requirement.
Educational Background Required:
• College degree or equivalent work experience