As a thriving independent school born in, and of, the city of Philadelphia, Friends Select seeks a communication specialist who is familiar with a vibe of a city and used to working under pressure, who can multitask, who loves to collaborate with a team while also enjoying independence, and who is most importantly, very creative.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Creation and/or oversight of:
● writing and editing news stories and promotional copy for print and web, including but not limited to emails, newsletters, magazine articles, event promotion, video scripts, short marketing copy, headlines, letters, announcements, press releases, emergency notifications;
● photographing and reporting on school events;
● writing and directing publication of the school’s magazines;
● implementing crisis communication plans alongside the business manager and head of school;
● developing relationships with local media outlets to handle inquiries, new initiatives, secure coverage for school events of note, and pitch content ideas.
In collaboration with the division directors and advancement team:
● create and strategize content for all school communication channels, including but not limited to editorial, advertising, public relations, social media, video, and photography;
● maintain and update the school’s website and social media sites in collaboration with the division directors and advancement team;
● assist with in-house graphic design;
● write and manage email communication to the school’s various constituencies;
● work with external vendors such as design and print firms;
● plan and manage a budget;
● oversee school-wide calendar of communications and work with division directors and staff to appropriately schedule disbursement of messaging;
● consult with and advise divisions and departments as-needed in the creation of copy and messaging.
The ideal candidate has a bachelor’s degree, preferably in communication, marketing or journalism and a minimum of 3-5 years of relevant experience with a magazine, firm, or at a school or non-profit organization. Candidates should possess proven editorial and writing skills, media relations, and experience managing publications from conception to print. Candidates should have experience creating content with Adobe Creative Suite, Constant Contact or other email campaign software and be comfortable working with a variety of social media platforms, have strong project management and organizational skills, the ability to prioritize managing multiple deadlines and excellent interpersonal skills. Occasional evening and weekend hours required.
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, list of three references and three samples that showcase your work, including a writing sample. Employment to begin by July 1.