Sr. Vice President communication and Marketing
- Full Time
Safe Horizon offers the most comprehensive services for victims of crime and abuse in the nation. Safe Horizon helps victims of domestic violence, sexual abuse, child abuse, human trafficking, stalking, and any other type of crime and abuse to heal and rebuild their lives. No matter where a person is in his or her life span – from young children, to teens, to young adults, to the elderly – Safe Horizon is here to help. In addition to direct services in New York City, the organization provides national awareness and education programs on child abuse and domestic violence. Since 1978, Safe Horizon has been here to help adults and children in crises to heal and recover.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
The Senior Vice President will build upon the great progress Safe Horizon has made in effective, positive, and multi-faceted communications to take the organization to the next level in public awareness and profile. National thought leadership for its programs and leadership is a strategic priority for Safe Horizon and the Senior Vice President will be integral to achieving this objective.
To that end, the Senior Vice President will lead and direct a comprehensive communications strategy in close partnership with the CEO, Board of Directors, and the Executive Team, in particular the Chief Advancement Officer. He/she will cultivate and raise the public profile and image of Safe Horizon in all media, including editorial coverage, written materials, collateral, videos, social and other new media, etc.; and will manage and develop internal communications to a diverse staff of 750 throughout dozens of Safe Horizon locations in New York City.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Strategy and Management
- Create and execute on a comprehensive communications plan, working collaboratively with Safe Horizon leadership, to raise public awareness for the programs and services, senior leaders, and organization as a whole.
- Guide the development and implementation of Safe Horizon’s messaging and national voice incorporating the many complexities of a wide variety of programs and services, numerous stakeholders, and diverse range of audiences.
- Play a key role in internal communications with the Chief of Staff, HR, and CEO to creatively communicate necessary information, highlight accomplishments, share learnings, and ensure engagement and connection between a diverse internal staff of 750.
- Manage and assist in tailoring a crisis communications strategy should the need arise.
- Staff and support the Board Marketing Committee.
- Supervise, mentor, and lead an effective Communications department.
- Develop and implement an annual strategic public relations plan, including an editorial calendar to proactively place appropriate stories and key messages in the press.
- Maintain and build relationships with reporters who cover issues pertinent to Safe Horizon and serve as a resource and spokesperson where applicable.
- Develop relationships with program staff, cultivate issues and stories suitable for publication including overseeing the management of the Speakers’ Bureau (former clients who wish to tell their stories), and help those former clients craft their remarks for public speaking, videos, and written testimonials.
- Increase the visibility of the CEO and key senior colleagues through interviews, high-impact media opportunities, and events; prep executives to ensure consistent messaging.
- Monitor, analyze, and report upon media coverage.
Public Profile and Advocacy
- Support Safe Horizon efforts to advocate with government entities across multiple platforms through close collaboration with the VP of Government Affairs.
- Leverage digital media to increase awareness and engagement for the communities served, clients, and the broader public.
- Develop and produce collateral for many purposes, including client materials, program brochures, and other marketing documents, and ensure compliance for all documents with brand guidelines, including materials translated into languages other than English.
- Support the annual Champion Awards to promote Safe Horizon and further its reach as well as smaller events such as conferences, media events, program events, and movie screenings.
- Serve as a member of the Website Working Group (Development Department has primary responsibility for the website); in collaboration with Development, generate timely and appropriate content that integrates social media and website strategy.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
The successful candidate will be a senior communications and marketing professional and manager. He/she will have the gravitas and breadth of experience to guide the public profile and messaging of a multi-layered and nuanced organization. He/she must bring passion and energy for the mission as well as understand a client-centered approach to communications. Additionally, the Senior Vice President will have a strong team-orientation and therefore the ability to advance complex projects by collaboratively closely and effectively with colleagues.
Key Professional Attributes and Professional Experiences Include:
- Senior level experience in public relations, communications, marketing, or equivalent field, including ample supervisory experience; familiarity with a multi-site, multi-service environment preferred.
- Highly collaborative, responsible and responsive work style with an ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple demands.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, including opinion pieces, marketing materials, press releases, social media posts, internal communications, web articles, etc.
- Familiarity with crafting organizational messaging while satisfying various public policy and partnership concerns; experience with working with government officials and agencies a plus.
- Comfortable working with and communicating to a wide range of constituencies and skilled in articulating the mission of Safe Horizon in a way that generates support across the varied groups.
- Demonstrated success in achieving local and national press coverage in line with organizational goals.
- Familiarity with racial equity work, which is a strategic priority at Safe Horizon.
- Thrives in an intense environment that also focuses on joy, care, and purpose.
- Experience in managing in a highly resource-constrained environment; ability to attract and manage very-low-cost or pro bono resources and to accomplish goals with limited expenditures.
- Experience in communicating with many audiences, including those whose primary or only language is not English.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. Advanced degree preferred.
COMPENSATION: Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience.
Safe Horizon is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals and endeavors to hire individuals of diverse races, colors, creeds, ethnicities, religions, genders, gender identities or expressions, ages, sexes, sexual orientations, national origins, and disabilities, as well as citizen, marital, protected veteran and HIV statuses.