Media Outreach Specialist
Founded in 2012, Student Loan Hero, Inc. is helping 200,000+ borrowers manage and eliminate over $3.5 billion dollars in student loan debt. We’re on a mission to help 44 million Americans manage their student loans smarter.
Student Loan Hero combines financial education with easy-to-use tools, unbiased personalized advice and repayment plans to help student loan borrowers become financially healthy.
What does the Media Outreach Specialist do?
The mission of the Media Outreach Specialist is to earn media for Student Loan Hero. They focus heavily on relationship building, cold pitching, securing interview opportunities and content promotion. Their work leads to achieving many benefits for SLH including but not limited to: healthy brand visibility, thought leadership in the personal finance industry, protecting/enhancing the health of our backlink portfolio, and more.
Our team’s efforts have featured us on some well-known publications such as Vice, Business Insider, Refinery 29, Huffington Post. We’re now looking for a candidate to join our PR team to take our outreach efforts to the next level, by managing relationships and earning media on a variety of websites with the aim to bring SLH to new audiences.
The ideal candidate for this position should have an entrepreneurial mind-set and be ready to take on and initiate new projects as he or she sees the need arise.
- Works with online publishers, bloggers, editors, journalists and more to earn media placements on a daily basis
- Monitors media queries and submits expert quotes on behalf of SLH
- Coordinates with our in-house experts and publishers to set up expert interviews
- Participates in outreach content ideation sessions on a monthly basis
- Participates in strategic quarterly sessions with outreach team
- Collaborates heavily with the content team, but may include other teams, as-needed
- May require in-person meetings at conferences or offices with established media contacts
- Creates media lists on an ongoing basis
- Performs media training (video, print, podcast) with our experts, as well as pulling together talking points/relevant SLH resources, etc. prior to interviews
- Promotes media outreach initiatives consisting of but not limited to: original data research (studies, surveys rankings), bylines, tools and infographics.
- Other duties as assigned
What’s it like to work on the Student Loan Hero team?
Student Loan Hero is a fully remote team. We have team members all over the world, in cities including NYC, Austin, Los Angeles, Santiago, and St. Petersburg, Russia.
Since we’re located all over the world, communication using Slack, Gmail, Jira, Zoom, and other tools is key for us. Don't worry—you won't be alone. We communicate regularly throughout the day.
As a growing company, most team members get to wear multiple hats, giving you tremendous learning and development opportunities. We believe in giving our team members autonomy to work on projects that interest them. Also, we place value on the output of each team member, and not simply the amount of facetime or hours you spend working.
A large part of our culture and values is transparency - we believe that team members should collaborate and communicate, not compete or engage in office politics.
At the same time, we like to make work as much fun as possible and “embrace the weird” about ourselves. We encourage our team to grow both personally and professionally, which is why we offer wellness and educational stipends, as well as several other great perks.
Above all, we’re proud to work on meaningful projects that impact the financial health of millions of people.
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. without sponsorship is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in PR, communications, marketing, or related studies, preferred
- 2-5+ years of experience with online content, digital PR, or related field, required
- Demonstrated ability to cold pitch a publisher and earn media through content promotion, required
- Ability to multitask while working under various deadlines, required
- Content ideation experience, preferred
- Basic understand of SEO, preferred
- Experience in working remotely, preferred
- Availability to travel up to one week per quarter for work-related activities and events as well as at least 1x/year for in-person meetings with publishers required
- Competitive salary: Based on experience and location.
- Equity: We’ll give you vested shares in the company.
- Vacation: Unlimited.
- Flexible hours: Work when you’re most productive.
- Work remotely: Work from wherever you want in the world. (Costa Rica, anyone?)
- New equipment: We’ll hook you up with a brand new MacBook Pro, and a $1,000 technology stipend to purchase a desk or whatever helps you work.
- Remote workspace: We’ll pay up to $500/month for a remote office space (e.g., co-working space).
- Wellness: We cover 100% of premiums for employees and dependents on a silver-level health insurance plan, plus you get up to $150/month for gym, fitness classes, nutrition counseling, weight loss programs, nutritious food delivery service, acupuncture, massages, workout equipment, or race registrations.
- Continuing education: Participate in our Learning Reward Program that pays you for your professional development! We also reimburse up to $100/month for courses, books, or anything you’d like to learn.
- Financial contribution: Receive a 100% match of up to 3% of annual salary to a retirement account, as well as a 100% match of up to $2,000 toward student loan repayment assistance.