Business and Operations Manager
Business and Operations Manager, ThinkProgress
Reports to: Editor-in-Chief, ThinkProgress
Department: Communications, ThinkProgress
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full-time
ThinkProgress has an immediate opening for a Business and Operations Manager to spearhead revenue growth strategies, primarily by overseeing advertising and donor programs.
This is a dynamic role in a fast-paced newsroom with a lot of potential for experimentation and growth. Ideal candidates will have a diverse range of technological, marketing, and development skills; an understanding of ThinkProgress’ mission and role in online media; and the communication skills to effectively work with both technical and editorial stakeholders.
- Oversee a membership program to attract monthly donors, including by identifying program growth opportunities, managing messaging strategies, and tracking analytics.
- Manage ad units and report ad campaigns.
- Act as the liaison between developers and editorial staff to maintain ThinkProgress’ website, including by scoping development requests and conducting acceptance testing.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Experience with planning, developing, evaluating, and growing a donor program.
- Experience with major ad exchanges and knowledge of the programmatic landscape, including familiarity with DoubleClick for Publishers, header bidding, brand safety, private marketplaces, and real-time bidding.
- Ability to communicate well with both developers and nontechnical stakeholders.
- Flexibility to quickly learn new systems and develop new technical skills as needed.
Candidates who would excel in this position:
- Have a high level of comfort with data analysis and reporting.
- Thrive in customer support and project management roles.
- Have established relationships with agencies, public relations firms, or brands that align with ThinkProgress.
This position is not for candidates who:
- Have no understanding of trends in news media and web technology.
- Prefer to have a specialized role within a larger marketing team.
- Struggle to juggle multiple projects on different tracks.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.