Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
We are excited to offer an opening to join our vibrant and innovative open access publishing team at Springer Nature, working on our respected BioMed Central and SpringerOpen journal portfolios. In joining the team you would become part one of the world’s leading global scientific and medical publishers, with staff based in Europe, Asia and the Americas. Due to the success of this business area, the team is growing and we have a fantastic opportunity for an individual with a passion for scientific advancement to develop their publishing career and work alongside some of the best in this field. This position would focus specifically on supporting the Health Sciences portfolio. The role of Editorial Assistant is wide-ranging and essential to the smooth running of the BioMed Central and SpringerOpen journal portfolios
Duties include coordinating the successful set-up of journals joining the portfolio, managing responses to external Editors, maintaining internal systems and processes, and generating reports for Journal Development Editors. The Editorial Assistant will work across the team supporting journal development activities and in doing so will gain broad exposure to all aspects of the academic publishing industry.
Ideal candidates will be educated to a degree level, preferably with a scientific background, or have equivalent experience. Excellent verbal and written communication, strong organisational skills, and the ability to balance multiple priorities are vital for this role. It is not essential to have previous publishing experience, although a passion for scholarly publishing and open access is required.
- Assisting Publishers with ad hoc projects and policies that will be implemented across the department
- Liaising with Authors, Reviewers and Editors via email and telephone – ensuring your manner is always polite, professional and helpful
- Maintaining correct information within the databases – updating person records for editorial boards and ensuring contact information is correct
- Assisting with editorial reports
- Organize monthly department meetings across the global team
- Assisting with other ad hoc tasks associated with the editorial workflow of manuscripts Maintain the department’s intranet webpages with appropriate materials
- Providing team cover during periods of absence
- Aid Journal Managers with researching for difficult journal ethics cases
Experience, skills and qualifications:
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent)
- Experience working in a fast-paced office environment is preferred
- Microsoft Office suite and database management experience
- Working within a team and meeting daily deadlines
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional organizational skills and interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize in a high-volume environment, meet deadlines and work on your own initiative as well as part of a team
- Ability to demonstrate good publishing business awareness and the ability to learn quickly
- Keen proofreading skills and sharp eye for detail
- Be resourceful and proactive in dealing with problems and queries
- This is an ideal first role for someone wanting to establish a career in scholarly publishing
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law Poster:
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.