Reporter II CMGO
- Full Time
WHIO-TV is looking for strong, passionate and energetic Journalists to join the #1 ranked CBS affiliate in America and the home of the nation’s highest rated newscasts! We work on the leading edge of news, charting new courses for how journalism is practiced and delivered to our communities. As part of our team, you’ll work on the front lines of all four major delivery platforms: TV, Digital, Print and Radio. You’ll join a team of more than 200 journalists, working in our state-of-the-art; 52,000 square foot newsroom. And, with Cox Media Group you’ll be part of a family-owned company rooted in over 100 years of journalism excellence with operations in many of America’s most desirable media markets.
- Display urgency, tenacity and passion to get the best, most complete content quickly into the digital space and on tv by deadline.
- Create breaking news content effectively and communicate to managers as soon as a story is confirmed, and update weather content when weather conditions warrant.
- When the first to arrive on the scene of breaking news, quickly assess the situation, relay information to the assignment desk.
- Generate clean, concise content that is balanced and unbiased, complete, in-depth and dependable, incorporating, where appropriate, a diverse range of sources. Content should not contain errors of fact or judgment.
- Demonstrate the ability to enterprise original stories, with unique voices and content that drives newscast viewing.
- Use strong interviewing skills and demonstrate voice and/or script-writing skills by providing live and/or recorded content for use on radio.
- Demonstrate social media savvy and use technology to file content remotely.
- Are flexible in scheduling because of the changing needs of news events, including working overtime and being on call, and handle other assignments as needed.
Additional responsibilities and qualifications
- Report regularly on breaking and developing weather events and their aftermath.
- Maintain speed, quality and clarity on air while describing breaking news.
- Create multiple news stories per day.
- File reports for radio and digital.
- Pleasant-speaking voice with clear articulation.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred and 2-3 years of professional television reporting experience.
- Valid driver’s license.
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing, direct marketing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers and non-daily publications; and digital sites and services, like Clark.com, Dawg Nation, SEC Country, Hookem.com, Mundo Hispanico, Southern Kitchen and Diehards. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual's age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Organization: Cox Media Group
Primary Location: US-OH-Dayton-1611 S Main St
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Unposting Date: Ongoing