- Full Time
At Medium, words matter. We are building the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas; a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers.
Medium is looking for a senior editor to work closely with editorial leadership on daily, weekly and monthly publishing. This person loves to read and has a sixth sense for what other people want to read. She or he will commission original features, columns and essays by known and unknown writers, bringing stories and perspectives that are not being seen elsewhere. This person must contribute smart and unexpected ideas on how to cover tech and science in this moment, and will be well sourced in developing stories in those areas. This person will be an integral member of the editorial team.
This editor has an eye for quality, is intellectually curious and displays excellent judgment when it comes to commissioning both broad-interest and niche stories that many people want to read.
What will you do?
- Solicit, secure and edit interesting features, columns and essays in technology and science
- Publish on a daily, weekly and monthly cadence
- Identify and engage emerging or undiscovered writers who already publish on Medium and can command a bigger audience
- Commission and/or write important, attention-getting features about tech or science based on established editorial priorities and packages
- Work with staff members and writers on story packaging, including display copy
- Liaise with design and editorial leadership on the creative execution and packaging of excerpts and commissioned stories
- Work with editorial team leadership on special projects and monthly themed packages
- Bring good ideas to work every day
Who are you?
- You have 5+ years of editing experience in journalism
- You are passionate about science and tech
- You don’t pitch stories based on press releases
- You have story ideas that aren’t being done elsewhere
- You care about words, and can deliver well-edited stories on a deadline
- You are curious and display excellent taste and judgment
- You are sourced in the fields of science and tech, or are sure you can reach anyone you would like to quickly
- You are a display-copy whiz who understands the importance of framing a story for maximum reader engagement
- You are a straightforward and effective communicator
- You like working on a team and can help improve other people’s ideas through collaboration and brainstorming
- You believe that good stories can come from anywhere
We understand the value of diverse backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
This position can be based in New York or San Francisco.
Interested? We'd love to hear from you.