Deputy Managing Editor
Stacker transforms expert analysis into easy to digest stories, creating compelling pieces across dozens of topics - from entertainment to the economy, presented in slideshow format. Founded in summer 2017, Stacker is read by millions of Americans each month, syndicated across MSN and dozens of other newspapers across the web. Despite the stigma around slideshows as a result of clickbait/Buzzfeed style publications, we believe slideshows are an excellent way to deliver acute information & facts, and see incredible engagement across our research-driven stories.
A lean team tackling over 75 in-depth research pieces each month, we are looking for a highly driven editor to manage all day-to-day editorial operations, driving the vision for growing and operationalizing our editorial strategy. As a pivotal member of the team, the Deputy Managing Editor will be responsible for overseeing a large freelance network and owning the workflow for all writing, editing and on-time delivery of content. This job involves a mix of daily responsibilities and assisting on larger, long-term strategic initiatives. You will work closely with multiple stakeholders and report directly to the CEO.
About this Job
As Stacker grows, we are looking for an experienced editor to manage and optimize our internal editorial processes, owning recruiting and management of freelancers, daily content planning and operations, and helping drive the overall strategic direction of the newsroom.
You will be responsible for:
- Managing budget for a team of ~35 freelance contributors and editors
- Managing calendars and timelines, ensuring all content delivered on-schedule
- Shaping Stacker's voice + maintaining style guide
- Regularly providing feedback to writers
- Final copy editing, maintaining all content has been proofed for factual, grammatical and spelling errors
- Representing Stacker at press events & industry functions, as needed
- 3+ years working in a digital-first newsroom
- Experience in recruiting and managing contributors/freelancers
- Proven copy editing experience in an online environment
- Impeccable organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to meet strict deadlines and juggle multiple responsibilities
- Desire to help build long-lasting processes for a growing newsroom
- Expertise in using AP Style
- Exceptional communication skills and ability to provide feedback to a network of writers
- Experience fact-checking, and comfortable editing stories built around data
- Hard working, with a zero-defect attitude
*Applicants can send resume, writing samples, and 3 suggested new headlines for Stacker content (that have not yet been covered) to Noah Greenberg.*
Apply for Deputy Managing Editor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly