Editor in Chief/Sr. Writer
- Full Time
The Editor in Chief will develop and oversee the Authors Guild’s communications strategy and all of its outward-facing communications, including press release, web content, social media. The Editor will write and/or edit press releases, blogs, social media posts and other articles and will serve as editor of the Guild’s publication the Authors Guild Bulletin. The position reports to the executive director.
- Create an overall communication plan, including strategies for social media, news releases and website content.
- Write and/or edit web content, blog posts, articles for our Bulletin, social media, media materials, op-eds, talking points, text for video and podcasts, speeches, and presentations.
- Lead strategic thinking on the Guild’s editorial needs and public-relations messaging.
- Provide editorial oversight for the Guild’s quarterly Bulletin.
- Regularly review and make recommendations for updates to the Guild’s website.
- Write and/or edit op-eds and features for outside publications.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience writing and editing, ideally including nonprofit or advocacy purposes.
- Expertise with digital content, blogs and websites, and in communicating via Twitter, Facebook, and other social media.
- Familiarity with public-relations channels; ability to reach out to news organizations.
- Verbal communications skills; ability to communicate with staff at all levels within the organization, as well as with external media contacts and other organizations.
- Collaborative work skills and ability to operate under pressure and within short deadlines.
Please send resume, salary requirements and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
About the Authors Guild
The Authors Guild has served as the collective voice of American authors since its beginnings in 1912. Its approximately 10,000 members include novelists, historians, journalists, and poets—traditionally and independently published—as well as literary agents and representatives of writers’ estates. The Guild is dedicated to creating a community for authors while advocating for them on issues of copyright, fair contracts, free speech, and tax fairness. Please visit www.authorsguild.org.