Senior Communications & Marketing Manager, USA
- Full Time
As the National Tourism Agency for Great Britain, VB is one of the preeminent organizations in the industry worldwide. We play a unique role in building England’s tourism product, raising Britain’s profile, increasing the volume and value of tourism exports - and developing the visitor economy.
We are currently seeking a Senior Communications & Marketing Manager with a strong communications background and extensive media contacts in the travel and lifestyle industries. Based in our mid-town New York City office, this mid-senior role manages a small team of two, and plays an important part in developing and executing the integrated US marketing communications plan. The position includes supporting communications across all owned, earned and paid channels, to increase visits to England, Scotland and Wales.
Please mark applications/cover letter with MBPR.
The Senior Communications & Marketing Manager (in conjunction with the CMO), works to develop and implement an annual integrated PR and Communications plan for VB-USA. Working through an extensive list of media contacts, one of the key purposes of this position is to enable the delivery of VB’s strategic PR and Communications objectives by proactively pitching key themes & ideas, showcasing VB and our activities, and increasing our profile through desk-sides, visits, events, press trips and general media coverage. The role also works with other members of the Americas team to ensure that marketing campaigns, commercial activity, B2B projects & collateral are integrated across the business.
- In line with the overarching strategy, work with the Chief Marketing Officer to develop and implement an annual fully integrated PR and Communications plan for the USA.
- Develop, grow & engage with a network of key media contacts in the USA to enable delivery of VB’s strategic objectives, proactively pitching key themes & ideas. Ensure all contacts are segmented on a central database.
- Lead and prepare a 12 month deskside media pitching programme for key media markets and target states to grow media and influencer contacts and generate widespread coverage.
- Lead, design and prepare a 12 month targeted plan for the USA with an extensive programme of visiting journalists, broadcasters & influencers. Work with key airlines & British partners to generate inspirational coverage of the destination for target customer segments who have the potential to book a trip to Britain.
- Proactively identify new media and content partners to increase Britain’s profile across key communications channels – including marketing trade, travel trade, business visits and events, consumer and corporate news media.
- Generate widespread publicity through proactive a proactive content calendar you will create and pitch destination & newsworthy stories for media, broadcasters and influencers.
- Ensure the Director and Deputy Director are included in media opportunities to promote the organisation & its remit through B2B/Trade media and other relevant news outlets.
- With the support of the team, ensure that all media coverage is evaluated & coverage highlights are shared with internal and external stakeholders.
- Organize and manage a variety of events: launches, round-tables, trade shows, etc. in relation to our communications, marketing, B2B activity.
- Ensure that the team maintain the USA VisitBritain online media centre; You and the team will produce regular e-communications/newsletters, press releases and story ideas for key contacts in line with their needs.
- Cultivate a strong relationship with strategic destination partners (London, Scotland, Wales, English regions), and ensure they are kept fully updated of PR plans
- Write and prepare briefs and plans for the Director, Deputy Director and CMO where relevant. Materials for any visiting dignitaries like the Chairman and CEO and other London directors.
- Lead on Crisis Communications and Reputation Management. In conjunction with our London office and the Americas senior management team manage any issue for the US team.
- Working closely with the Deputy Director, Chief Marketing Officer, Digital Marketing Manager and other stakeholders in the London office, ensure effective delivery across marketing campaigns, commercial activity, B2B projects & collateral.
- Work alongside the Americas Partnerships Manager ensuring that commercial partners are aligned fully to our integrated efforts & strategy.
- Specifically provide input, support & guidance for the delivery of tactical & brand marketing activity in the US, including across areas such as media buy, creative, content/messaging, events and evaluation.
- Understand customer segmentation, providing key intelligence & evidence to the rest of the business on who our target customers are in the US and how best to adapt the marketing, communications & commercial mix to reach them with relevant content/messaging, campaigns and partners.
- Work alongside the Americas Travel Trade Director and relevant Managers exploring opportunities for joint marketing efforts reaching key stakeholders within B2B2 which will lead to conversion.
- Write relevant briefs, backgrounders & scripts for campaigns ensuring that all channels are fully integrated.
Cross Government Working:
- Alongside the Director & Deputy Director, confidently and positively represent VisitBritain within the British Consulate General, New York and other consulates across the US where appropriate. Champion the tourism agenda within the Consulate – ensuring its importance remains seen amongst key stakeholders.
- Work with the communications team at the British Embassy in Washington DC ensuring VisitBritain is included in briefing documents and plans where relevant.
- Participate, as needed, in cross-government meetings and campaigns, including GREAT Britain campaign activity particularly any projects that VisitBritain is leading on eg. Love is Great LGBTQ marketing and share important insights and news with wider North American team
Financial and Line Management:
- Line management of a small team (2) in NYC ensuring effective and timely delivery of the PR program.
- Manage performance appraisals and objectives for the team ensuring appropriate training and development opportunities
- Manage the budget and ensure all process is adhered too following all guidelines. Balance PR budget with 1%.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- 10+ years marketing & communications experience, preferably in travel/tourism or lifestyle consumer brands. Experience with management/supervision.
- Outstanding writing skills - both for consumers across channels, and internally for corporate reporting. Excellent verbal and interpersonal skills with experience communicating successfully at all decision-making levels.
- Experience supporting, delivering & evaluating integrated marketing campaigns. Good understanding of marketing disciplines, with knowledge of how to leverage digital channels & platforms to enhance marketing & communications activity.
- Stellar US media contacts – particularly in travel and lifestyle media as well as relevant influencers (YouTube, Instagram, SnapChat, etc.)
- Event management experience: Consumer, media and travel industry related (B2B).
- Excellent proficiency across all Microsoft Office applications – particularly PowerPoint & Excel. Comfortable with data and an analytical approach to inform activity.
- Willingness & ability to work occasional evenings and weekends and to travel domestically and to the UK as needed.
- Excellent Presentation & Public Speaking skills. An ability to be a champion for VisitBritain and the brand both internally and externally.
- Global perspective and experience of dealing with different cultures.
- Flexibility – ability to manage a number of projects simultaneously.
- Good knowledge of Britain’s tourism product and VB’s business with enthusiasm to constantly update skills and knowledge. A true advocate for Britain and tourism.
- Open-minded, upbeat and ‘can-do’ attitude which encourages innovation, embraces change and displays resilience against adversity.
- Visible, approachable, accountable and available. Ability to build effective customer relationships, and work to meet expectations.
- Good understanding of US market dynamics & culture, including key consumer trends.
- Degree/Diploma in Communications/PR or Marketing, or other related discipline, is desirable.
- Experience with management/supervision of a small team of PR/Marketing professionals.
- An ability to showcase VisitBritain and its activities to the news media.
- Experience in crisis communications and reputation management.