Audience Development Associate
This associate role will join the new Audience Development team for KQED. You will support the Director of Audience Development in managing, executing and enhancing strategies for audience engagement and growth across all of KQED’s audience-facing broadcast and digital platforms.
The Audience Development associate will be part of a team whose goal is to ensure that the value of KQED’s public media mission extends consistently into all audience-facing touchpoints.
- Communicate ideas and tactics clearly so that collaborators of all levels of skill can implement audience development strategies into their workflows. For example, the associate may meet on a regular basis with a content area to advice on optimization tactics and share actionable insights gleaned from data about their newsletter.
- Coordinate and collaborate across multiple departments so that the department can work effectively across the organization.
- Be knowledgeable of best-in-class SEO techniques, and assist content creators with implementing SEO tactics on a regular basis, increasing visibility for their work to broader audiences.
- Facilitate the execution and implementation of a new loyalty program, including marketing and evaluating the program.
- Stay up-to-date on the latest social media platform innovations, trends and best practices, and execute strategies that put these tactics into regular practice.
- Maintain a long-lead editorial calendar for newsletter, social and fundraising messaging, ensuring that the team has ample time to strategize, coordinate and iterate on campaigns and messaging.
- Regularly write newsletters and social copy, with an eye toward providing value for readers at all times.
- Work with the Audience Intelligence team to source appropriate data for Audience Development reports, presentations, verbal recommendations, etc.
Bachelor’s Degree preferred or comparable experience in related field with a media, entertainment or news organization.
- 2-3 years of relevant experience with a media, entertainment news organization in any of the following roles or some combination thereof: audience development, social media, marketing, digital marketing
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Working knowledge of paid social media tools and best practices
- Basic knowledge of Photoshop
- Have experience with workflow apps and software such as Google Docs, Asana, AirTable and/or Slack
- Have a deep interest in and appreciation for the public media mission
- A sharp eye for design and aesthetics
- Curiosity about audience behavior and tendencies across media types and platforms
- Operate from a place of empathy and compassion for audience members, fans and consumers
- Interest in figuring out how marketing and social tactics from the for-profit world can work within the nonprofit framework
- Have mad love for the Bay!
Let us tell you more about our benefits:
Whether you’re single, married, have children, are in a domestic partnership or anything in between, we have you covered. Employees at KQED enjoy a family friendly workplace offering 20 days of paid time off, 11 paid holidays, paid parental leave, family medical leave benefits, comprehensive health/vision/dental and commuter benefits as well as a 403(b) with employer match. KQED encourages diversity, openness and offers training to support personal and professional development. In addition we are proud to offer Employee Resource Groups, wellness programs as well as free KQED membership.
The mission that drives us:
KQED is for everyone who wants to be more.
Our television, radio, digital media, and educational services change lives for the better and help individuals and communities achieve their full potential.
KQED serves the people of Northern California with a community-supported alternative to commercial media.
We provide citizens with the knowledge they need to make informed decisions; convene community dialogue; bring the arts to everyone and engage audiences to share their stories. We help students and teachers thrive in 21st century classrooms, and take people of all ages on journeys of exploration- exposing them to new people, places and ideas.