- Full Time
We don’t just collect data, we connect data. YouGov is an international data and analytics group with the ambition to become a unique part of the global internet infrastructure - like Google for search, Facebook for social, Amazon for retail, we want it to be YouGov for opinion. Our value chain is a virtuous circle consisting of a highly engaged online panel, innovative data collection methods and powerful analytics technology. From the beginning we had one simple idea: the more people are able to participate in the decisions made by the institutions that serve them, the better those decisions will be. We are a global online community for millions of people, and thousands of organisations, to engage in a continuous conversation about their beliefs, behaviours and brands, and provide a more accurate portrait of what the world thinks.
We are searching for a Data Journalist to use our proprietary data to shed light on topical, political, and lifestyle issues. The data journalist will develop stories to react to news and pop culture events, as well as explore lifestyle and general interest trends. They will then report the findings in an accessible but authoritative way, balancing compelling copy with clear visuals. They will also generate original stories using long-term YouGov data to tap into the underlying public mood that goes beyond the news cycle.
What will I be doing day to day?
- Brainstorm, research, and write stories for public consumption based on YouGov data
- Come up with ideas for stimulating survey questions
- Use data from the surveys to create at least one story per day
- Demonstrate a strategic understanding of YouGov data and its sources, relevance, potential, and value
- Visualize data with charts and graphs that explain the story at a glance
- Support the development of daily stories as well as longer-term projects
- Work collaboratively with Researchers, Editors, PR, and Marketing staff
- Work on tight deadlines
- Take part in weekly editorial meetings
What do I need to bring with me?
- Experience of writing accessible, public-facing content
- Comfortable covering current events, politics, social issues, lifestyle, and a slew of general interest topics
- Strong writing skills
- Ability to “read” data and use it to tell a compelling story
- A knack for knowing what stories will get people talking
- Self-starter who can work as an individual and collaborate with a team
- Experience working with content management systems
- Experience in presenting data in visual form
- Social media management
- Ability to create, innovate, and take ideas from conception through to delivering the final product
- Effective organization skills and can-do attitude to deliver results, meet deadlines and manage time effectively
Some additional information . . .
This is a full time role, based at our New York Office.