Sr. Competitive Intelligence Analyst
- Full Time
HMH is looking for a Sr. Competitive Intelligence Analyst.
The goal of Competitive Intelligence is to provide decision makers with the actionable intelligence needed to assess, develop and execute their strategic and tactical business objectives.
The Sr. Competitive Intelligence Analyst combines research and analytical skills in order to help project the future actions of competitors and determine how to ensure HMH maintains dominance in our industry. This role will be primarily be responsible for generating competitive intelligence and tactical plans to displace competitive solutions, and establishing a communication and enablement strategy to ensure our Sales and CSG teams are equipped to effectively sell HMH solutions.
This position works in close partnership with Corporate Strategy, HMH Government Affairs, HMH Business Development, Solution Development, Market Research Intelligence Directors, Intelligence Strategic Market Research Manager, Market Research Manager(s), Sales Enablement, Solution SMEs, Professional Services, and Sales Strategists to align market-driven, proactive customer-centric marketing activities with sales objectives, including state adoptions, open territory adoptions, and other key revenue growth initiatives.
Collect, validate, analyze, and interpret a broad range of market-related data, including industry, financial, volume, market, and competitive insights (35%)
- Responsible for competitive and market intelligence, managing secondary data and analytic tasks to build market insights that help inform business planning, business development, and strategic operational goals and objectives.
- Cultivates, monitors, and assesses multiple intelligence sources and communicates to internal stakeholders applicable recommendations regarding changing dynamics across the K-12 education landscape.
- Develops innovative analytical methodologies to answer strategic business questions and vet new business opportunities across the organization.
Superior Communication and Collaboration (30%)
- Creates data-driven and dynamic visualization-based recommendations that will enable key stakeholders to be more efficient, targeted, and strategic in their day-to-day decisions
- Collaborates with a number of internal stakeholders to proactively leverage data and information to deliver recommendations and action plans to help provide target solutions and new opportunities for HMH’s portfolio of assets and ensure stakeholder alignment
- Creates visualizations and dashboards to effectively communicate insights from various analyses
- Contributes innovative and strategic ideas to help shape a relatively new team while continuing to drive impact across the organization
Product Knowledge and Enablement (20%)
- Works closely with Corporate Strategy, Intelligence Directors and Product Marketing Leadership to establish and maintain expertise and knowledge of current HMH solutions and their role in national and regional education trends and issues
- Works closely with Sales Enablement to develop a continuous path of learning to remain current on assigned HMH programs and services through training and various internal communication
- Works closely with Sales Enablement to develop and maintain consistent pathways of communication of competitive intelligence for a number of key internal stakeholders
Marketing Campaign Contribution & Execution (15%)
- Provides timely competitive intelligence to Solution Development to ensure solution customizations are appropriate for distinct market segments
- Ensures the timely sharing of competitive intelligence with Account Planning and Content Marketers within the/agency to ensure implementation of strategic, content-based marketing and promotional plans as appropriate to ensure maximum return on marketing investment
- When necessary, provides competitive intelligence for creative briefs for marketing campaigns that provide sound, data-oriented strategic reasoning, defined quantitative and qualitative goals, and appropriately aligned marketing tactics
- Drives the transfer of competitive intelligence to strategic campaign plans and tactical and operational execution
Establish and Maintain Appropriate T&E Budget
- Works with VP of Market Research and Intelligence to ensure appropriate and cost-effective HMH T&E guidelines are followed
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required, with a concentration in a quantitative field (e.g., math, finance, economics, statistics, education, etc.) Graduate degree, preferred.
- 3+ years’ experience managing projects, market analytics, data analytics, and/or strategic planning required.
- 5+ years’ of data analysis, reporting, and forecasting work required
- Prior experience working in education or education sales with specific knowledge of the development, adoption and implementation of instructional materials, preferred.
Knowledge and Skills
- Superior verbal and written communication skills; exceptional presentation skills
- Superior inter-personal skills
- Proficiency in MS Office suite, with advanced knowledge of Excel (including pivot tables and function formulas for data comparison) and PowerPoint preferred
- Superior problem solving and decision-making skills
- Irreproachable tact and diplomacy
- Conceptual & analytical thinker focusing on prioritization, collaboration
- Decision-maker skilled at negotiation, problem solving, tactical execution
- 30%-40% travel