Associate Director of Communications
As the associate Director of Communications, you will contribute to ending world hunger by developing and implementing an external communications strategy that mobilizes nationwide support to end severe hunger and malnutrition around the world. You will work across the Action Against Hunger global network and within the US to lead the development and roll out of an integrated communications strategy across key stakeholders with a primary leadership role in influencing and mobilizing the U.S. “engaged public” as potential financial supporters.
Key Activities in your role will include:
- Leveraging the U.S. technical framework and International Strategic Plan of Action Against Hunger to create a communications strategy with editorial calendar, identifying key annual milestones and moments to maximize visibility and fundraising.
- Leading the communications process internally (between ER and Operations, Country Programs and Technical Team) to maximize content pipeline to ensure needs for communications and fundraising are met.
- Overseeing content development and creation of visual assets (in association with the Communications Officer and vendors/consultants), that aligns with the communications strategy.
- Developing press releases and op-eds, serving as the lead point person/press contact directing the outreach to U.S. based media to generate national press coverage.
- Overseeing creation of visual assets for U.S. consumption (videos, collateral, publications) and actively provide input into the development of assets created by global network.
- Providing editorial input into the development of assets for fundraising (direct mail, search engine optimization, e-newsletters and appeals), scripts for the annual Gala Against Hunger and activation of $1M+ corporate partners.
- Supervising Communications Officer and overseeing website content development (blog, articles and stories) and social media strategy.
- Providing guidance and support to the Advocacy, Technical, Operations and country teams in the development of communications strategies across non-private sector donor stakeholders.
- Serving as the focal point in the US for all communications requests across our country programs of operation, liaising closely with the international network/ Communications peers to ensure consistency and brand alignment.
Do you meet the profile required criteria?
You’re a dedicated fundraising professional
- You have a Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, International Development or related field is required
- You have at least 10 years’ experience managing communications, marketing and/or public relations, either in-house or with an agency.
- You have experience managing a multi-disciplinary communications team (including press/media, marketing and writing professionals along with photographers, videographers and graphic designers)
You are excited by the possibility to launch innovative communications strategies and contribute to building Action Against Hunger-USA’s image.
- You are motivated to work within the humanitarian sector specifically for Action Against Hunger cause.
- You have the ability to succinctly and compellingly translate operational and programmatic work into more commonly-used language.
- You are a good team player and an effective leader
You appreciate the value of an integrated, cohesive team approach.
- You are a great listener and communicator, able to engage with different personalities and situations.
- You have exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills, being able to effectively interface with senior management, Action Against Hunger -USA’s Board of Directors and staff members
- You set meaningful objectives and define milestones or measures of success holding your team accountable for the results.