This is not a video editing post; the position involves text news only. Please do not apply if you don't have suitable qualifications. Thank you!
South China Morning Post (SCMP) is looking for a smart, experienced freelance homepage editor located in or near New York City to control its international and Hong Kong homepages each Monday-Friday.
As homepage editor, you will be responsible for:
- Managing SCMP's international and Hong Kong homepages, ranking stories according to popularity and importance, and ensuring that requests from the various desks are met, as appropriate.
- Using real-time analytics tooks to help determine how and where stories should be ranked.
- Sending out news alerts, scheduled and ad-hoc, to our app subscribers to promote readership on key stories.
- Checking and updating the Apple News queue to ensure that the content remains fresh and appropriate.
- Monitoring headlines, preview images and story summaries and editing as required to best present articles to our readers.
- Adding links and improving internal connections with popular stories to ensure high recirculation.
- Optimising stories with relevant videos, interactives, infographics and embeds to increase reader engagement time.
- Support both the New York and Hong Kong offices by editing stories for quality, as requested, and liaising with various desks as necessary to maximise engagement.
- Uploading a small number of articles from the newspaper to the website.
- You may also be required to edit and publish staff copy from time to time.
The ideal candidate will be a focused and experienced homepage editor who is comfortable and confident working both solo and as part of a team, with at least 3 years of relevant experience.
An ability to write smart headlines and gripping introductions is essential. Training will be provided, but prior experience with the following would be useful: Apple News, Swing, Methode, Chartbeat, Tableau, Buffer, Drupal, Merlin, news content management systems and Slack. Ability to speak and read Chinese is not essential, but may be useful.
This position is only open to American citizens or Green Card holders.
The candidate will work from the Manahattan office on weekdays. Hours are typically 10am-6pm (summer)/9am-5pm (winter). Times may vary.
Interested parties please send curriculum vitae with full career details. Please title "SCMP Homepage Editor".
Apply for Homepage editor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly