Cox Media Group – Jacksonville has an opening for a part-time Assignment Editor to coordinate our daily and future news coverage across our TV, Radio and Digital platforms.
- Responsible for monitoring e-mails, phone calls, wires, social media and scanner apps for news stories
- Entering news stories and updates into the daybook and planning coverage for the next day
- Work with reporters to help gather information and work sources for leads. Assignment Editors are responsible for generating enterprise story ideas daily
- The Assignment Editors are required to make sure all information into the newsroom is disseminated on all our platforms accurately
- Produce digital content for our digital platforms including social media and the web, as well as generate and write stories for Radio & TV
- Assignment Editors are responsible for monitoring the competition
- Must be able to deal with heavy phone call volume and research stories while successfully multi-tasking in a high pressure, tight deadline newsroom environment
- Have the ability to make sound editorial decisions and react aggressively to breaking news with or without management present
- The successful candidate must have the ability to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends and holidays.
Additional Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Running assignment desk, liaison between managers, reporters, and photographers, digital, radio, coordinating crews, story planning/enterprising, developing community relationships, etc.
Our team is looking for someone with outstanding organizational skills, able to handle high-pressure situations, and be the ultimate team player. Great attitude is a must. Previous newsroom experience preferred. This is a great opportunity to work for the best media company in the industry, Cox Media Group.
- 1 year of journalism experience is required
- Bachelor’s degree with a major in broadcasting, communications or journalism is preferred
- The ability to sit for extended periods of time, standing, bending, moderate lifting of 25 lbs may be required
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers, and digital sites. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company also offers a full suite of local and regional advertising services through its Local Solutions and Ideabar businesses. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly across all platforms. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
Organization: Cox Media Group
Primary Location: US-FL-Jacksonville-11700 Central Pkwy
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Unposting Date: Ongoing