Editorial Assistant, Trade
- Full Time
W.W. Norton & Company, Inc. is seeking an Editorial Assistant to join its Trade Editorial department. This position will support two trade editors. This is a full-time, entry level position based out of Norton’s headquarters in NYC.
Essential Job Responsibilities Include:
- Management of manuscripts in all stages of production; preparing manuscripts for copyediting and production.
- Reading and reacting quickly to submissions in both fiction and non-fiction categories.
- Professionally interacting with authors, production, marketing, and sales staff to relay messages, follow-up on requests/information and in general, anticipating when to proactively act on messages.
- Administrative management: organizing and maintaining files; tracking manuscripts and reviews; copying, printing, and emailing.
- Tracking and processing payments.
- Managing text and photo permissions with authors and the contracts department.
- Generating promotional copy for catalogs, book jackets, and sales-related materials.
- Creating and editing Excel and Word documents to support projects and/or office responsibilities.
- Line editing manuscripts and contributing to overall publishing strategy of individual titles
Please note - this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Employment eligibility to work with W.W. Norton & Company in the US is required.
- Must be able to work full business hours from Norton’s New York office.
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communications skills.
- Strong interest in literary fiction and nonfiction.
- Must be able to anticipate needs and deliver timely, relevant solutions and actions.
- Must be able to develop rapport and relationships with all levels of employees. Must be seen as knowledgeable and capable of handling sensitive, critical information.
- Must be proactive, flexible and adaptive in a rapidly changing environment and adjust with a “can-do” attitude.
- Must be self-directed and independent.
- Must have good time management skills, be organized, and be capable of multi-tasking across departments, activities, and projects.
- Must be detail-oriented, making sure that all aspects of their daily activities are handled with accuracy, with minimal mistakes.
- Mastery of email and calendar management tools required, specifically Outlook.
- Proficiency in Word and Excel.
- Experience with social media.
- 1-2 page writing sample required. Please attach as a separate document along with your resume. Applications without writing samples will not be considered.
W.W. Norton & Company, headquartered in New York City, is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees. W.W. Norton & Company strives to carry out the imperative of its founder to “publish books not for a single season, but for the years in the areas of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry”. For more information about the Company, please visit us online at: http://www.wwnorton.com.
W.W. Norton & Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.