Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
Job title: Media Editor, Nature
Location: New York, NY or Washington, D.C.
Nature, the world’s most authoritative science journal, seeks a Media Editor to join our Art Team to source visual media to support our science news and journal coverage.
This role sources and creates media such as photography or video for Nature. Working with the news teams, plus other creative teams of designers, journalists and multimedia editors, this role creates original media assets for publication in print and other digital platforms.
- Visual media for Nature, mostly still photography, but also some video sources
- Commissions photographers and/or videographers to create original media assets for Nature, and is comfortable providing creative ideas for photo and video shoots
- Edits photos in image editing software (such as Adobe Photoshop), with an eye to color correction and cropping/composition
- Ability to edit footage in video editing software (such as Premiere) with an eye to video length and quality
- Uploads images into our content management system for digital publishing
- Clears permissions/obtaining licenses for sourced media
- Provides caption and credit information as needed
- Negotiates with agencies, photographers and videographers in order to keep to budget
- Prioritizes workload to ensure deadlines are met.
- Keeps up-to-date with developments in the media asset industry, changes in the copyright law and image-related technology
- Works pro-actively to own high standards without any supervision
Skills and qualifications:
- Excellent, proven communication skills
- Ability to work with photographers and videographers to create dynamic, original media
- Ability to work very quickly and adapt quickly during fast moving projects involving multiple types of media
- Knowledge of copyright law and image licensing agreements
- Research skills
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Photoshop to edit raw footage for color, composition and resolution
- Demonstrated knowledge of Final Cut or Premiere to edit videos for length and quality
- Actively seeks out innovative ways of using new media to tell stories
- Ability to identify and articulate what makes a good editorial image or video footage
- Ability to visualize images and video footage in an editorial context
- Excellent organization and planning skills to prioritize workload and meet deadlines
- Working knowledge of Adobe After Effects a plus
- MS Office
- 2 to 5 years media or photo editing experience gained working in a news-driven editorial environment
- Experience sourcing images and video footage for social media and other alternative platforms
- Experience commissioning photographers and organizing photo and video shoots
- Has developed a working contact list of photographers and videographers
- Familiarity with wide-range of media sources, including picture agencies, and scientific sources
- Experience of sourcing media from other publications, in particular other scientific journals, and books.
- Administration experience – budgeting, sending tear sheets, updating spreadsheets, processing invoices.
To apply for the position, please submit a CV and a cover letter, including a link to your portfolio.
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law Poster:
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.