Associate Director of Content Strategy
- Full Time
BAM (Brooklyn Academy of Music) is a multi-disciplinary arts center located in Brooklyn, New York. For more than 150 years, BAM has been the home for adventurous artists, audiences, and ideas—engaging both global and local communities. With world-renowned programming in theater, dance, music, opera, film, and much more, BAM showcases the work of emerging artists and innovative modern masters.
The Associate Director of Content Strategy curates and oversees the creation of compelling digital content that deepens engagement with existing audiences and attracts new visitors to BAM. The Associate Director is responsible for overseeing content strategy for BAM’s website, social media, blog, and email newsletters. The incumbent establishes and reports on goals and metrics to evaluate the success of all content and social media initiatives, helping BAM to continually improve its content strategy. A key member of BAM’s audience development and marketing team, the Associate Director collaborates closely with colleagues in communications, creative services, and across the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Strategy & Management
- Identify content priorities and opportunities for each season based on revenue and attendance goals, BAM brand, resources available.
- Oversee editorial calendar(s) for all BAM digital channels (including BAM.org, social media, blog, video, and weekly newsletter).
- Supervise content creation, working closely with Creative Services colleagues and Content Marketing Coordinator, and engaging outside contributors as needed
- Manage paid social media and content budgets
- Create social media strategy and serve as BAM’s subject matter expert on using social channels to achieve institutional goals, partnering with Development, Digital Media, and others
- Advise program marketing managers on social media best practices, and develop social campaigns to drive awareness and sales
- Develop supplementary content to highlight BAM’s history and legacy
Execution & Distribution
- Ensure BAM voice and brand is consistent across all social media and content platforms, working in close consultation with BAM’s Creative Director and Creative Services team
- Oversee all BAM social properties, and ensure timely posting of all blog content, videos, ads, etc.
- Pursue and establish partnerships with other organizations/brands to leverage BAM content, where appropriate.
- Communicate all content initiatives internally to BAM staff, and solicit input, feedback, and participation.
- Monitor BAM social media, and communicate audience sentiments and feedback internally when appropriate
- Support institutional announcements and news, working closely with BAM’s Director of Communications to ensure alignment in messaging across press and social channels
- Respond to customer service complaints via Twitter in a timely manner, in conjunction with the Customer Care Manager.
- Establish social media KPIs and goals by season
- Work with Manager of Digital Operations to distill and analyze social media metrics
- Communicate social media and video analytics, blog traffic, and other relevant metrics to marketing department and executive staff.
- A minimum of 3-5 years professional experience in marketing, communications, media, or a related field
- Strong ability to identify and tell compelling stories, especially in ways that engage audiences who are less familiar with the arts
- Experience expressing a distinctive brand personality and voice in writing
- Interest in arts and culture, including curiosity about or familiarity with BAM programming
- Understanding and interest in content marketing and social media channels and best practices, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and other emerging channels
- Works well in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional communication skills (oral & writing)
- Strong project management ability, including experience managing multiple simultaneous projects and executing across multiple channels
- Ability to understand and interpret budgets, website analytics, and other quantitative data
- Knowledge and experience with MS Office: Excel, Word, and Outlook
- Willingness to work some evening or weekend hours
- Collaborative – Works closely with colleagues across the organization
- Curious – Stays up-to-date on trends in the rapidly changing media landscape; tests new approaches and quickly iterates to discover what works
- Multimedia Storyteller – Uncovers and tells compelling stories in a variety of formats
- Exhibits Strong Judgement & Tact – Anticipates, monitors and responds to online feedback promptly and sensitively, consulting with colleagues as appropriate
- Experience in journalism or PR a plus
- Proven ability to pivot between multiple different brands or audiences is ideal
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package including pension.
Application Instructions: must complete an online application, including both resume and cover letter, through BAM's website - no phone calls, emails or walk ins, please.
See what it's like to work at BAM on Twitter/Instagram: #SceneAtBAM