We are looking for an experienced Senior Accountant to manage monthly accounting operations by controlling and verifying our financial transactions. The ideal candidate will have solid experience and sound technical accounting knowledge in key accounting processes including general ledger accounting, the monthly close process, financial reporting, billing, accounts receivable, and accounts payable. Senior accountant responsibilities include reconciling account balances and bank statements, maintaining the general ledger, and preparing and executing month-end close procedures. Senior accountant duties also include ensuring accuracy and effectiveness in all our accounting tasks. The Senior Accountant will report to the Company’s Controller.
- Undergraduate degree in accounting or finance; Relevant certification (e.g. CMA or CPA) preferred but not a prerequisite
- Strong desire and proven ability to drive, implement, improve and lead corporate accounting processes
and procedures such as cash management, AR/AP, month end close, payroll and benefit reconciliations
- In-depth understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Solid working knowledge of accrual based accounting with full P&L and balance sheet experience
- Strong understanding of financial statement preparation and analysis
- Proficient with technology and systems. Capable of mastering various technology platforms as a power user: e.g., ERP, AP/expense management systems, order management systems, online banking
- Experience with ERP system implementations a strong plus
- NetSuite experience preferred
- Outstanding Excel and data management skills: e.g., pivot tables, V-lookups, etc.
- Strong communication, documentation and presentation skills
- Highly driven and self-motivated to work as required, with a hands-on approach to ensure the deliverables are produced on time with high quality
- Accuracy, attention to detail, and organization skills.
- Media, brand, publishing and/or digital industry experience preferred
- Ability to work flexible hours in support of the business
- Action-oriented self-starter. Comfortable in an entrepreneurial environment. Must be able to handle multiple priorities and effectively meet critical deadlines
- Manage Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable processes, including verifying, allocating, posting and reconciling AP and AR transactions
- Manage AP and expense report processes. Serve as internal and vendor point of contact for AP matters
- Manage billing and revenue recognition processes as well as timely collection of accounts receivable
- Manage monthly closing process and journal entries. Perform month-end journals and associated reconciliations by working with different areas of the business to ensure all costs are accounted for in the correct period
- Prepare, review and issue financial statements
- Produce error-free accounting reports and present their results
- Analyze financial information and summarize financial status
- Spot errors and suggest ways to improve efficiency and spending
- Review and recommend modifications to accounting systems and procedures
- Manage junior accounting staff
- Work with outside auditors and tax accountants under direction of Controller
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
Essence Communications, Inc. currently reaches a global audience of more than 16 million across its various platforms encompassing its signature print magazine; digital, video and social platforms; television specials, including the Black Women in Hollywood Awards on OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network; books; and live events, including the Street Style Block Party during New York Fashion Week and the annual ESSENCE Festival, a cultural celebration that debuted in 1995 and is now one of the country’s largest annual events, attracting more than 450,000 attendees.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We strongly support equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Our recruitment policies are designed to place the most highly qualified persons available in a timely and efficient manner. We may pursue all avenues available, including promotion from within, employee referrals, outside advertising, employment agencies, internet recruiting, job fairs, college recruiting and search firms.