Reporters are involved in the fact gathering and breaking of unique local content on a daily basis. They work hand in hand with the television producers, web content producers and and photographers - gathering and developing news for all of our platforms. They are expected to develop community contacts, confirm and pitch enterprise stories with value and to understand what it means to investigate on a daily basis.
Their work appears both on-air and online. They are required to maintain a strong social media presence and meet station set goals each day.
Reports for all platforms:
- Strong reading and writing skills
- Ability to investigate story tips
- Writes stories for use first on-line and then on-air
- Is familiar with pronunciation of names and places in stories
- Utilizes AP style guide
- Breaks stories through excellent use of community contacts and journalistic investigative skills
- Field reports as assigned or as needed
- Works directly with broadcast producer for success of show - this includes writing content for the broadcast each day
- Works with producer and managers for understanding of broadcast including both written and video elements
- Produces special reports - develops brand consistent sweep story ideas for each sweeps period
- Creates and maintains story notes and files in the I-News electronic system
- Develops and maintains contacts
- Participates in news editorial process including story pitching, vetting, digital delivery and development of enterprise content
- Ability to shoot material as well as edit''Qualifications
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Must be able to work flexible hours including early mornings, evenings and/or weekends and holidays.
• Maintains professional appearance, works with News Director prior to any radical changes
• Works to put best personal appearance forth on air each day
• Makes station appearances as requested by Community Affairs or others
• Maintains professional standards in public as representative of station
Anchors promotional material as needed
• College Degree in Related Field. Minimum of 1 year professional experience
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers, and digital sites. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company also offers a full suite of local and regional advertising services through its Local Solutions and Ideabar businesses. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly across all platforms. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
Organization: Cox Media Group
Primary Location: US-TN-Memphis-485 S Highland St
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Shift: Day Job
Unposting Date: Ongoing