Senior Associate, Communications
- Full Time
Americas Society and Council of the Americas (AS/COA) are sister organizations providing the most trusted forum for debate on issues affecting the Western Hemisphere. Headquartered in New York City and with offices in Washington and Miami, AS/COA holds high-level events across the United States and Latin America and is the publisher of Americas Quarterly, the leading publication dedicated to politics, business, and culture in the Americas.
- Handle all components of a proactive media strategy, from identifying opportunities to drafting media pitches, placing stories, and monitoring.
- Manage the production and submission of AS/COA’s marketing, advertising, and promotional materials, serving as liaison for designers and advertising outlets. Oversee fulfillment of barter agreements.
- Draft communications’ materials including press releases, media advisories, and enewsletters, and handle email distribution.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date press lists and contacts, including social media influencers and reporters/editors.
- Curate and publish content including press releases, media articles, and video in the AS/COA Online newsroom.
- Track media coverage and produce news monitoring reports. Manage relationship and monitor performance of PR software services provider.
- Field media requests and respond to reporters’ inquiries. Assist with press events such as press previews and press conferences.
- Research and develop talking points for media interview preparation.
- Supervise and mentor communications intern.
- Help design and implement strategies to expand social media audience and engagement.
- Assume administrative tasks and other related duties as required.
Qualifications and attributes
The candidate is expected to be a self-starter who works with minimal supervision, manages own time effectively, maintains control over all current projects, and follows up on all relevant issues. Must be detail oriented.
Skills and qualifications include:
- At least three years experience in public relations, media relations, or communications, with advanced degree preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.
- Exceptional English-language writing skills. Strong written and spoken Spanish. Knowledge of Portuguese a plus.
- Experience with updating web content.
- A strong interest in and understanding of Latin America and international affairs.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite and other types of image editing software.
- Experience expanding social media audiences and influence a plus.
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule that includes some early morning and evening commitments, as well as occasional domestic or international travel.
Please email cover letter, resume, and at least one brief English-language writing sample to Media Relations Senior Director Adriana La Rotta. Published clips—whether via links, PDFs, or some type of online portfolio—are welcome. No phone calls please. Only candidates selected to interview will be contacted.