The Photo Editor handles photography research and editing of numerous illustrated books for most Sterling imprints. The Photo Editor must learn to work simultaneously within two different workflows, one for Sterling titles and one for Hearst titles. They work closely with text editors, designers, art directors and sometimes authors to source and license high quality photography for all titles, using Sterling’s established formatting standards within Photoshop.
Essential Functions :
- Photo research for illustrated books and covers (all Sterling imprints) from approved stock photo sources (agencies and photographers) per Sterling guidelines
- Work closely with text editors, designers and art directors to understand the image needs;
- Pass selected images to designer in approved format;
- Determine status of image rights and secure publication rights for all photographs contained within dozens of illustrated book projects annually
- Research and review existing photographer contracts for various Hearst magazines including Good Housekeeping, House Beautiful, Popular Mechanics, Veranda, Country Living, and Cosmo
- Research contracts via Hearst contract database and paper archives, when available;
- Retrieve and download images from Hearst image database;
- Contact photographic sources to secure additional photographs as needed;
- Review completed layouts, determining licensing payments as necessary;
- Contact photo sources with usage information, requesting invoices for licensing;
- Track usage terms stated in final invoices;
- 3+ years in a photo research or photo editing position
- Photoshop experience, intermediate
- Strong organization, time-management, prioritization, multi-tasking, independent-decision making, problem-solving, interpersonal, analytical, etc. skills.
- Works well under deadlines, self-starter, innovative, team-oriented, customer-focused, etc.
- Experienced in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel), Photoshop.