- Full Time
Title: Web Developer
Practice Group: Marketing & Communications Services Team
Mentor: Senior Director, Technology Strategy & Programs
The Web Developer will be responsible for front-end web development of The Arc’s existing and new websites. He/she will play a project management role on any complex web development projects that require the support of outsourced designers and developers. This developer will also be responsible for testing, troubleshooting, and overall maintenance of The Arc’s online properties. The ideal candidate will be team oriented and eager to learn new technologies. This position is based in Washington, DC and reports to the Senior Director, Technology Strategy & Programs.
*When responding to this opportunity, please speak to the relevancy of your work experience in your cover letter.*
Essential Job Functions:
- Edit and configure existing websites that are built in content management systems like WordPress, NetCommunity, or other CMS’s.
- Receive wireframes and graphical elements from graphic designers to incorporate into existing websites, and create whole new dynamic, responsive websites.
- Drive cross-browser, cross-platform testing of apps or sites.
- Troubleshoot bugs that users submit, related to the websites or apps that the organization maintains. As needed, escalate issues to outsourced developers, system administrators, or other service providers in the stack. Coordinate communication between external experts and internal colleagues to resolve issues.
- Create HTML emails.
- In collaboration with colleagues from the Communications and Marketing Services Team, consult to internal clients to define web development requirements.
- Work with the Sr. Director of Tech Strategy & Programs to prioritize project tasks, define sprints/releases, set expectations, manage scope, and track the utilization of outsourced developers or designers.
- Articulate requirements, epics and stories in project management tools (E.G., Trello, Pivotal Tracker, Jira, etc.)
- Facilitate project-related communication between internal colleagues and outsourced designers or developers.
- Occasionally, create web analytics reports.
- Occasionally, make minor changes to graphical elements, using Adobe products.
- Occasionally, find and research tools or plug-ins that have potential to support the needs of internal clients.
- Occasionally, train staff to administer or edit CMS websites and apps.
- Stay up-to-date on emerging web technologies.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Job Requirements:
- BA or BS degree required. Preferred field of study in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems, Operations Management or related field.
- 3-4 years of relevant experience.
- Expert HTML and CSS skills.
- Experience with Git and Github.
- Basic conceptual familiarity with the full web stack.
- Understanding of SEO principles.
- Knowledge of web accessibility standards and/or motivation to develop knowledge in web accessibility standards.
- Familiarity with software development life cycle methodologies, especially agile or semi-agile workflows.
- Experience scoping and articulating requirements for complex web development projects.
- Experience estimating level of effort for the development of complex web development projects.
- Experience organizing and tracking work via project management tools and ticketing systems.
- Understanding of the project management body of knowledge.
- Demonstrated capacity to manage multiple projects involving different teams and content areas.
- Basic familiarity with Adobe Suite.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with attention to detail essential.
- Collaborative style and strong interpersonal skills.
- Experience with theming and module development for WordPress or other CMS’s, preferred.
- Experience working with server-side languages, such as PHP or Ruby preferred.
- Experience working with SQL preferred.
- PMP, Scrum, Agile or other certifications preferred.