Communications Manager, Grassroots and Chapters
Reporting to the Vice President of Communications at the National Audubon Society, the Grassroots & Chapters Communications Manager will be responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive, network-wide, dynamic, and inspiring Network communications strategy aimed at communicating Audubon’s priorities, priority shifts, and executive decisions to Chapters and Centers across the organization. In addition to partnering with key Audubon departments on organization-wide chapter communications, s/he will be responsible for overseeing the strategic development, writing, and editing of key communication projects and platforms for chapter and Center engagement.
- In collaboration with the VP, communications, and VP, grassroots capacity:
- create a vision and serve as a “go to” resource for Network communications, working with variety of internal clients, including senior executives, to translate concepts and messages into effective communications that help Chapters and Centers understand Audubon strategies and initiatives.
- build, launch and provide on-going communications support for the Audubon Ambassadors program.
- build, launch and provide on-going communications support for the Audubon College Chapters program.
- Work with communications, grassroots capacity, policy and campaigns teams to streamline and coordinate engagement “asks” for Chapters.
- Be the “eyes and ears” for chapter story-telling opportunities in coordination with the network content editor.
- Develop and coordinate the creation of tool-kits for use by Chapters and grassroots such as FAQs, webinars, press releases, and social media templates and etc. in service to project and campaign roll outs.
- Ghost write emails, scripts and presentations for senior executives to present to (and about) the Network in written or spoken form.
- In partnership with field-based and Headquarters communications teams, manage internal communication response to crisis situations.
- Work collaboratively with state-based and headquarters external communications teams to ensure consistent messaging with chapters.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing or related field required.
- 5+ years in communications field and 2+ years of direct experience writing and managing chapter and grassroots communications. Experience working in a large decentralized organization a strongly preferred.
- Experience developing and executing internal communication strategies and evaluating/measuring the effectiveness of internal communications.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with key clients across the organization.
- Must have excellent presentation and writing skills, with experience writing for a variety of voices and channels, as well as the ability to communicate effectively.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills; ability to interact comfortably with a broad spectrum within the organization to gain consensus.
- Strong project management skills required - ability to effectively manage project scope, teams, timelines, details and budgets.
- Must have strong customer service skills, with attention to detail.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to reason through issues and resolve problems while working efficiently under time constraints.
- Experience working with traditional and non-traditional communication platforms, including, print, electronic, video and events preferred.
- Available to work extended hours to support weekend/holiday events and critical periods, such as organization crisis/emergencies.
- Strong ability to build cross-functional relationships and influence without authority across all levels and functions. Ability to work independently, as well as, part of a team.
- Proficiency with Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and other key Microsoft Office, SharePoint and other web-based products.
- Willingness to work non-traditional work hours including nights and weekends as the job demands.
- A strong commitment to the mission, values, and programs of the National Audubon Society
- Adobe creative suite experience preferred.