Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
We are looking for a Video Development Editor who is a driven, technically knowledgeable and highly communicative publishing professional. This brand new colleague will be tasked with helping to develop a groundbreaking video program within Springer Nature’s acquisitions publishing vertical, Springer Research Group (SRG). There are two main components to this role:
- Coordinate the editorial, operational and administrative aspects of video production within SRG. This coordination will occur both internally, with various departments involved with video-production, and, when needed, externally, such as responding to author queries and managing relationships with third party vendors and freelancers.
- Operate as the “go-to” Springer Nature professional for acquisition editors within SRG as they begin signing videos, a new channel for the business. The Video Development Editor will initially be responding to questions about best video practices, software, sound, editing, etc although these questions will develop in complexity over time as the program evolves. As such, it is critical that the Video Development Editor needs both technical knowledge as well as excellent communication skills and a positive, professional attitude to share information and navigate the relevant Springer Nature departments in order to effectuate first-rate video products.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Track SRG video activity with a focus on scheduling and video production pipeline (will be required to maintain a pipeline report.)
- Connect with SRG acquisitions editors to give demos, train, answer video-related questions, and discuss concrete video opportunities.
- Advise acquisitions editors on their respective video proposal and provide feedback as necessary.
- In partnership with SRG acquisition editors, provide newly signed video authors with the tools they need to get started (Camtasia subscription, Video Author Guidelines, etc.)
- Champion the SRG author instructions for video and answer questions from authors during the video creation process around video submission.
- Perform overall initial check and technical feedback on video submissions.
- Liaise with external vendor contact(s) who manage video editing.
- Manage video meta-data and liaises on meta-data issues with the PDM group and Bflux team.
- Provide Sales and Marketing with information on forthcoming videos as needed.
- Pro-actively advise on improvements that can be made to the video acquisition and development processes.
- Other duties as required by manager.
- Bachelor’s degree with minimum two (2) years’ experience in video project management – video editing experience is an absolute must
- Experience working within a publishing company preferred.
- Evangelist of the future of science and scholarly media.
- Natural affinity for new media and technological developments, including emerging video channels, tools, and vendors.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to recommend video technologies and tools.
- Experience creating video content from scratch.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf.
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.