Audience Engagement Manager - Temporary Position
- Full Time
POSITION TITLE: Audience Engagement Manager - Temporary Position
DATES: August 20, 2018 - March 1, 2019
REPORTS TO: Executive Producer
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
Climate One at The Commonwealth Club is a thriving leadership dialogue on energy, the environment and the economy. We bring together top thinkers and doers from business, government, academia and advocacy groups to advance the discussion about a clean energy future.
Climate One offers a forum for candid discussion among climate scientists, policymakers, activists, and concerned citizens. Our live events are recorded and distributed to a global audience via our radio shows and podcasts. By gathering inspiring, credible, and compelling information, we provide an essential resource to change-makers looking to make a difference.
At Climate One, we're changing the conversation about energy, the economy, and the environment.
The Audience Engagement Manager will be managing the implementation of Climate One’s brand, communications, and marketing strategies in order to maintain the programs’ engagement with its constituents and the broader community of individuals concerned about climate change. This work is performed in alignment with the goals of The Commonwealth Club, the nation's oldest and largest public affairs forum and Climate One’s parent organization. This position serves to inform key audiences and to protect and advance the brands of both Climate One and The Commonwealth Club.
The Audience Engagement Manager ensures that Climate One’s vision and values are successfully expressed and integrated across all of the program’s communication channels and marketing initiatives — including the website, ticket sales and merchandising, social media platforms, email promotions, public/media relations and occasional print and online publications — and that Climate One is strategic and consistent in its visual identity and public messaging internally and externally.
Reporting to the Executive Producer, the Audience Engagement Manager serves as Climate One’s strategic communications and marketing point. The Manager creates, plans and implements Climate One’s communications, marketing, and brand strategy in alignment with the Commonwealth Club’s directives, with the assistance of the Producers.
Status: Salaried, Exempt
Schedule: Temporary Full Time; Occasional evenings/weekends required.
Salary/Compensation: Salary is commensurate with organization’s senior team compensation levels.
1. Implement an integrated communications and engagement strategy to maintain Climate One’s visibility and reputation; maintain Climate One’s audience online and at events.
● Manage internal and external communications strategies in support of Climate One’s vision and key messages.
● Ensure adherence to the Climate One’s visual and editorial style and compliance with brand standards/guidelines.
● Serve as liaison to the Commonwealth Club’s communications staff.
● In consultation with Executive Producer and marketing consultant, maintain marketing plan to increase online and event audiences and deepen community engagement.
● With Executive Producer, track communications budget of approximately $30,000 per year.
2. Maintain current editorial direction, production and execution of all external communications and promotional content (website; social media; email, podcast, and video promotions; marketing and advertising; occasional print and online publications.
● Follow procedures for development and inclusion of content and ensure editorial standards.
● Manage timely production of marketing efforts to achieve ticket sales and revenue goals
● Develop communications content according to an annual editorial calendar.
● Oversee the production and distribution of Climate One’s e-mail promotions.
● Serve as primary liaison to outside communications and creative services vendors, including marketing, printing and/or graphic design agencies.
3. Foster and maintain relationships with the audience, community members and show guests.
● Communicate with Climate One contacts at various organizations about upcoming programs.
● Socialize with event attendees during receptions, introduce people to each other, and foster social connections.
● Communicate before, during and after the shows with the show’s guests and their support staff to encourage promotion of Climate One.
● Create and share promotional emails for show guests that include graphics for social media, relevant links and information.
● Create and send logistical information for event day with the guests and team.
● Curate and share post show email with video clips, radio broadcast dates and podcast information.
4. Monitor, analyze, and report on Climate One’s progress to achieving its impact and brand related goals.
● Monitor audience engagement evaluation dashboard metrics (ticket sales, web traffic, social media engagement, e-mail promotions, podcast listeners, TV/video viewers)
● Utilize a variety of digital analytic programs (Google, Facebook, Twitter, MailChimp, Podtrac)
5. Coordinate Climate One media relations.
● Act as main media contact/coordinator for Climate One. Vet and direct press inquiries to Executive Producer as appropriate.
● Coordinate media outreach efforts with Club PR point person.
Bachelor’s degree required.
Ability to convey strong knowledge of energy, environment and sustainability issues in language relevant to experts and accessible to non-experts.
Minimum of four years of experience in communications and marketing, ideally at a non-profit environmental or climate change focused organization. Experience with content development, writing and editing and graphic design for the web.
Desired Skills and Abilities:
● Excellent oral and written communications, as well as consensus building skills; strong creative problem-solving and analytic capabilities; the ability to work effectively independently with limited direction, as well as with others as part of a team. Expertise in the development, implementation and evaluation of strategic communications and marketing plans.
● Experience managing the production of a dynamic website and social media presence, print and online publications, and marketing materials.
● Experience developing and maintaining budgets.
● Skill in organizing work and supervising staff for maximum effectiveness. Ability to manage and collaborate with graphic designers, the media and other outside consultants and contacts. Ability to interact in an effective and professional manner with staff, constituents, the media and the public.
● Ability to work well under pressure and to meet deadlines, and to maintain utmost discretion and confidentiality.
● Required technical proficiencies: Mac-based software; knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, MailChimp email marketing, Facebook, Twitter, Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, and Twitter Analytics.
● Ideal candidate will also possess knowledge of Drupal, Dropbox, Google Docs, basic HTML, EventBrite, Podtrac, Photoshop and InDesign.
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should submit a single PDF attachment that includes a cover letter, resume or CV, your salary requirements, and two writing samples to email@example.com. The subject line of your email should be: Audience Engagement Manager / your name.
Application deadline is August 3rd, 2018.
Thank you in advance for your interest in Climate One at the Commonwealth Club. Due to the volume of applicants, only candidates who will be invited to interview will be contacted. Position is open until filled.