- Full Time
KIRO-TV in Seattle seeks adynamic leader with solid news judgment to oversee all aspects of daily newsand digital content. The News Director will be responsible for leading anexperienced News team of 115+ in the execution of top quality newscasts whilegrowing audience ratings and our digital products. This station broadcasts 5.5 hours of localnews each day.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES include:
- Provide strategic and tactical direction for day to day news coverage,breaking news, special projects, investigative reporting, special eventcoverage for all distribution channels, including creating content for OTTchannels.
- Supervise Executive Producers, Producers, and Managing Editor incarrying out the organizations policies and goals.
- Work collaboratively tointegrate digital platform into everything we create.
- Grow and develop a diverse staff, to include identifying, recruiting andretaining top talent from a wide variety of sources.
- Interview, hire, coach and developemployees; plan, assign, and direct work, appraise performance, reward anddiscipline as needed. Address complaints and resolve problems promptly.
- Interpret and executeresearch from multiple research sources to provide the best news product for theSeattle market.
- Prepare and executedepartment operating and personnel budgets.
- Collaborate withconsultants and internal resources to operationalize research.
- Review previous news programs for critique of production, news contentand personnel performance.
- Regularly meet with individual staff members and their supervisors toassess performance and provide feedback to improve performance andprofessionalism.
- As an active, engaged member of the community, seek out individuals andgroups to determine their news needs and interests.
- Lead, mentor, coach individual team members and their leaders to regularlyevaluate and improve performance and professionalism.
- Plan, assign, and direct work. Appraise performance; rewarding anddisciplining employees timely, and addressing to resolve issues promptly.
- Seek out contacts with individuals and groups in the community todetermine their news needs and interests.
Proven track record with breaking news, severe weather,investigative and enterprise reporting and the successful delivery of digitalcontent through a wide-variety of products. This person must also haveexcellent leadership and solid interpersonal, people skills. Must bewell-versed in recruiting, developing and retaining top talent, managingresources, creating and executing research based strategic plans and growingnew opportunities in a multi-media environment. Must be able to work well withall station personnel.
EDUCATION, SKILLS and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university is preferred.
- A minimum of 5 yearstelevision newsroom leadership experience is required.
- Demonstrated successful abilityto develop employees through regular feedback and performance management.
- Ability to effectively communicatethe vision, mission, and strategic direction and to designate keyroles/champions in the newsroom.
- Excellent comprehensionaround breaking news, major news, investigative and enterprise journalism.
- Experience with and solidability to develop and manage newsroom budget.
- Ability to identify and matchtalents to tasks.
- Solid contract andnegotiating skills.
- Ability to resolve equipment and staff assignment problems.
- Experience working directly with News Associations in providingregional, national and international network material.
- Ability and successful trackrecord with identifying and recruiting top performers from a wide variety ofsources
- Experience and successfulachievement with interviewing, hiring, and training employees for both in frontof and behind the camera.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business tradematerials and professional journals, technical procedures, or governmentalregulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and proceduremanuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questionsfrom individuals and groups such as employees, managers, clients, customers,and the general public, including viewers and our audience.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units ofmeasure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability tocompute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret graphs.
Ability to assess and solve practical problems, deal effectivelywith a variety of ambiguous or concrete variables in situations. Have the ability to interpret a variety ofresearch from different sources, use good judgment and provide instructions inwritten, oral, diagram, or schedule format.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS and ABILITIES:
Use of EMPS or other newsroom computer systems, plus effective PCskills. Familiarity with the MicrosoftOffice suite of products preferable.
Employees accomplish their duties using safe work practices and equipment,while being responsible for reporting all injuries, observed unsafe conditionsor practices to their leader. Coach fellow employees on safe workpractices as appropriate and contribute to the overall success of the company’ssafety program.
Foster an environment where teamwork and theability to get along with others is an essential function of the job.
To perform this jobsuccessfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential dutysatisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of theknowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may bemade to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essentialfunctions.
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing, direct marketingand digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcasttelevision stations, radio stations, daily newspapers and non-dailypublications; and digital sites and services. Additionally, CMG operates theNational Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggesttelevision rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. For more information about Cox MediaGroup, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers, and digital sites. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company also offers a full suite of local and regional advertising services through its Local Solutions and Ideabar businesses. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly across all platforms. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
Organization: Cox Media Group
Primary Location: US-WA-Seattle-2807 3rd Ave
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Director/Senior Director
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Unposting Date: Ongoing