Our Harper Art Dept team is currently seeking a Senior Designer to join the fast-paced, creative team. In this role, the Senior Designer will design covers for a wide range of high-profile titles under the Harper Hardcover and Paperback imprints.
- Organize, design and handle titles and mechanicals with guidance from Senior Art Director.
- Assists with preparation for meetings; prints materials, such as comps, sample layouts; mounts covers and/or creates dummy books.
- Work collaboratively with all members of the team.
- Effectively communicate with artists/photographers directly as needed.
- Keep projects on a timely schedule and keep supervisor in the loop on projects and manage freelancers as needed.
- Take initiative in the course of each project to problem-solve, trouble-shoot, demonstrate consistent follow-through and meet deadlines.
- Color correct and attend press oks when possible.
- Archive all projects in DAM, keep supervisor informed of project status and keep production status on server updated.
As needed you will:
- Provide design support to supervisor.
- Return art and dead matter.
- Provide general assistance on special projects.
- Minimum 3-5 years of design experience required
- Book cover design experience strongly preferred
- Solid understanding of production process, color correction of proofs, timely routing of materials
- Pre-press experience preferred
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Ability to set priorities under pressure
- Strong Mac skills and design skills using InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Ability to work effectively in a team setting
- A strong interest in books
- College degree or equivalent work experience
- Course work in graphic design, typography and illustration preferred
HarperCollins Publishers is a company full of people who are passionate about books. When you apply for a position, we want to know why you want to work here, and why you are interested in the job. That’s why cover letters are strongly preferred.