- Full Time
W.W. Norton & Company is seeking a Senior Designer to join its Trade Art Department. This position will be responsible for designing and managing the paperback list under the guidance of the art direction team as well as create original work for the hardcover list. In this role they will attend meetings, consult with editorial and art directors on cover direction, and collaborate with the entire art department. We are looking for a talented designer who is autonomous, has a positive attitude with fresh ideas, a passion for the publishing industry, and is looking to push their work forward. This role reports directly to the Design Director who will oversee all aspects of the job.
Essential Job Responsibilities Include:
- Manage and create original designs for the Norton Paperback List (approximately 10 titles per list / 30 per year) under the direction of the art direction team.
- Create original designs for the Norton hardcover list (approximately 5 per list / 15 per year).
- Facilitate communication between editors, sales director, and paperback committee on an individual project basis.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience at or for a publishing company.
- Must understand the nuances of cover design across multiple genres and have a range of styles which fit the diversity of Norton’s publishing program.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Critical eye for design.
- Inspired to think independently and creatively.
- Must be able to efficiently manage their own workload.
- Must have a positive attitude towards collaboration.
- Must have the ability to manage a flexible list and tight deadlines.
- Fluency in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
- Ability to work full business hours in Norton’s New York City headquarters.
- Employment eligibility to work in the United States is required.
About the Company:
W.W. Norton & Company is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees. W.W. Norton & Company strives to carry out the imperative of its founder to “publish books not for a single season, but for the years in the areas of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry”. For more information about the Company, please visit us online at: http://www.wwnorton.com.
W. W. Norton & Company is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.