Data Visualization Specialist
- Full Time
Greenpeace is a global, independent campaigning organization that uses peaceful protest and creative communication to expose global environmental problems and promote solutions that are essential to a green and peaceful future. For over fifty years, Greenpeace has fought to save the planet from the threat of global warming, destruction of ancient forests, deterioration of our oceans, and the threat of a nuclear disaster loom large. As an independent organization, Greenpeace does not accept funds from any corporations or government entities. Greenpeace is headquartered in the Netherlands, with offices all around the world in over fifty countries.
We’re hiring a Data Visualization Specialist to join the Greenpeace USA Digital team as we engage supporters in a people powered model of advocacy. This role will bring analytical rigor to challenges such as measuring the impact of an email test, optimizing donor retention, optimizing cross-platform channels of constituent growth and building models of donor behavior. The Data Visualization Specialist will take data and use it to help Greenpeace make better campaign, fundraising and engagement decisions. It’s a great opportunity to work with an amazing team of professionals and implement the online strategy of one of the largest and most effective environmental organizations in the world.
Are you a professional with substantial skill and experience working with data (SQL/ MySQL, Google Analytics) and the tools (HTML/CSS/ dashboards such as Google Data Studio) to visualize it? If so, this might be the job for you. This role will require an understanding of engagement and how to drive Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) across the organization. We want an omnivorous mind with a talent for transforming complex subjects into simple yet striking visuals that communicate findings, including creating dashboards and presentations that upper management can consult at will that tell their own data stories.
Our ideal candidate has a passion for writing and illustrating data-driven visual stories. They love data and are able to coherently speak “data” to others. In addition to having profound information design and storytelling abilities, they are resourceful, confident under pressure, and comfortable working in a fast-paced, growth-oriented environment. We expect you would both pitch and execute ideas.
This role is exempt, full time role based in Washington, DC; or San Francisco, CA, and will report to the Director of Business Intelligence based in DC, with a dotted line to the Deputy Digital Director.
- Develop analysis and reporting capabilities.
- Monitor performance and quality control plans to identify improvements.
- Act as a subject matter expert in cross functional teams across the organization
- Develop a deep understanding of engagement goals and strategies
- Design tests to provide insight into complex constituent behavior
- Ensure shared learning from testing results across the organization
- Present recommendations on best practices
- Write complex queries for interacting with data from a variety of sources
- Investigate Greenpeace’s historical data to expose trends that can indicate future successes
Minimum requirements include:
- 2 years of experience transforming raw data sets into compelling and meaningful reporting with visual illustrations tools such as Google Data Studio, Looker, etc., with a strong understanding of how Google Analytics puts data together and ability to guarantee accuracy.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, SQL/ MySQL, 2 years experience preferred
Additional qualifications for this role include, but are not limited to:
- Previous experience analyzing large amounts of quantitative data: facts, figures, and number crunching to find conclusions and present intuitive representations of complex ideas.
- Critical Thinking: look at the numbers, trends, and data and come to new conclusions based on the findings.
- Excellent graphic design and visual storytelling ability; professional experience in a persuasive or storytelling environment is preferred.
- Ability to influence and advance projects in a cross-functional, matrixed environment
- A self starter who can work independently and is naturally curious
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to present examples of prior work
- Experience with online/digital metrics/marketing preferred
- Experience with nonprofit engagement strategies preferred
If you want to save the world from climate change and believe in environmental justice, please submit an application on our careers page. Applications will be review on a rolling basis and will conclude once we have found the best candidate.
Greenpeace is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, class, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, family/marital status, religion or other protected classes. We strongly encourage applications from marginalized communities. If you require assistance applying to this opportunity, please contact us.
Only applicants eligible to work and live in the United States without any legal restrictions need apply for this opportunity.