Manager of Marketing and Outreach
Who We Are
The Learning Policy Institute (LPI) conducts and communicates independent, high-quality research to shape education policies and improve learning for each and every child. Nonprofit and nonpartisan, the Institute connects policymakers at the local, state, and federal levels with the evidence, ideas, and actions needed to strengthen the pre-k to grade 12 education system and address the complex realities facing public schools and their communities. Working with policymakers, researchers, educators, community groups, and others who care about improving public schools, the Institute advances evidence-based policies that support empowering and equitable learning for all children.
LPI seeks a senior communications professional to join its communications team in either the Palo Alto or Washington, DC office to help promote and gain traction for LPI’s research and policy proposals with a range of audiences, including policymakers, policy influencers, advocates, researchers, thought leaders, and the media. The Manager of Marketing and Outreach will report to the Director of Strategic Communications and Executive Director. The ideal candidate has marketing and promotions experience, enjoys working as part of a team, and has a strong commitment to ensuring that all children receive a high-quality education. In addition, he or she has excellent writing skills, ability to manage multiple projects, and is flexible and highly organized.
- Developing and implementing promotional/marketing campaigns to achieve widespread dissemination and public uptake of research and policy concepts, with a focus on expanding LPI’s audiences and influence.
- Conducting outreach to key organizations, thought leaders and media to gain significant traction for LPI research and policy work, including drafting special pitches and template newsletter articles.
- Creating and pitching story packages and experts to key media, working with other LPI staff to identify key stories and ideas to pitch and individuals who can be interviewed for them, vetting stories, writing up backgrounders, researching target media, and writing and delivering pitches.
- Setting up interviews/editorial board meetings for key LPI staff.
- Drafting key communications documents, including news releases, pitches, backgrounders, editorial memoranda, and more.
- Preparing staff for interviews, in tandem with the media relations director or the communications director, developing talking points and messages, and conducting mock interviews and providing tips.
- Other tasks, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, marketing or a related field
- 7-10 years’ experience in public relations, promotions, media relations or related field
- Experience developing and running campaigns for nonprofit organizations and/or candidates
- Substantial experience working to promote education policy and/or research
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Word, Excel)
- Exceptional attention to detail in work quality
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Please submit a cover letter and resume with the job title in the subject line.
The Learning Policy Institute is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Apply for Manager of Marketing and Outreach
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly