Publicity & Marketing Associate, Avalon Travel-Berkeley, CA
The Publicity & Marketing Associate will execute integrated publicity and marketing campaigns for Avalon Travel working in conjunction with the marketing team. This will include implementing marketing campaigns, writing media materials, distributing promotional content, building and maintaining media relationships, and acting as an in-house contact for authors and media. This position works on campaigns for Moon and Rick Steves guidebooks as well as other travel titles or campaigns as assigned.
• Executing marketing campaigns under the direction of the Associate Publisher and in coordination with Marketing Director and Digital Marketing Manager.
• Researching, pitching, and coordinating relationships with affinity marketing partners and social media influencers.
• Building and maintaining strong media relationships with trade, print, broadcast and online media, as well as other key travel influencers. Provides support for outside publicists as needed.
• Conducting outreach to media and marketing contacts including diligent follow-up that results in media hits and marketing results.
• Managing all aspects of author events, tours, and consumer travel shows including author support, retailer/sales coordination, and associated media.
• Serving as the primary contact for authors. This includes regular monitoring of and engagement with authors’ social media, coordinating materials requested by the marketing department (i.e. original content, author questionnaires), fielding author questions, and sharing campaign updates with authors.
• Developing marketing and publicity materials including media releases, media and bookseller pitches, pitches to potential marketing partnerships, and other marketing or publicity collateral as assigned.
• Compiling, updating, and maintaining media lists in Cision.
• Managing galley, catalog, review copy, or other collateral mailings as necessary.
• Assisting with department administrative tasks as assigned.
Essential Skills & Experiences:
• Minimum of 1 year marketing experience
• Proficient in the use of social media
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to write and proofread accurate and focused media releases and marketing materials
• Ability to contribute to a team atmosphere and voice creative ideas
• Ability to also work independently while successfully managing deadlines and simultaneous projects
• Well-organized with the ability to effectively manage his or her priorities
• A bachelor’s degree is required. An emphasis on English, Communications, Journalism, or Media Relations is a plus.