- Full Time
Join our dynamic Multimedia Unit, which includes veteran producer/reporters who have worked for CNN, BBC, Reuters, and Global News. We are searching for a talented and versatile Multimedia Producer to fill this internationally recruited expat position. It is primarily an in-house package producing role. Strong field-production and reporting skills are also necessary. The Multimedia Producer works on the daily production and distribution of breaking news and feature videos for the company as a whole. Our ideal candidate must be a motivated self-starter and a journalist to the core with creativity, a critical eye, excellent news and editorial judgment, experience in all phases of creating and editing professional video content. Excellent people skills and a customer-oriented attitude are equally important, as you will be working in close collaboration with staff in Prague and in our bureaus. The goal is to bring visuals and sound together in order to tell cohesive, high-impact news stories for websites, social media, and television. This position reports to the managing editor for multimedia.
Living and working in Prague, you'll have an opportunity to experience a vibrant European cultural life and enjoy the support of an established expat community that offers exceptional international schools. RFE/RL provides a generous comprehensive package of compensation and benefits. Please see responsibilities and requirements below, if you are interested you may apply though the Apply Now button above where you can also submit your cover letter and resume.
- In-house video package production work. The Multimedia Producer works regularly, under deadline pressure, with RFE/RL bureau video and news agency material to script and edit news and feature videos in English that are suitable for translation into multiple languages.
- Develops and manages video productions from conceptualization to delivery.
- Field reports, long-form video segments, documentaries. This includes: pre-production work identifying strong, character-driven stories and coordinating shoot schedules. Field production involving international travel, shoot management, and on-camera interviews. Post-production, including the logging of videos from shoots and working closely with an assigned video editor.
- Edits introductions and captions for web-based photo galleries.
- Attends editorial meetings and consults with stakeholders from production to post-production process.
- Provides briefs and editorial direction guidance to technical production staff and RFE/RL VJs in the field at all stages of production.
- Produces training videos and works to raise the production and editorial standards of journalists across the company.
- Digital video editing experience for a news-oriented media organization. Multimedia Producers often cut their own packages. Knowledge of digital video editing software is required (Adobe Premiere and After Effects preferred).
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, film studies, or related field or the equivalent in experience is preferred.
- Native-level English, with high standards for grammar, is required for final edits of English-language copy before publication.
- Ability to translate a language from RFE/RL's area of coverage is desirable (Russian, Farsi, Dari, or Tajik preferred).
- Ability to write and edit introductions and captions for web-based photo galleries, as well as the selection and rejection of editorially appropriate photos.
- Basic to advanced video and photo shooting skills are preferred.
- A strong portfolio and resume reel that reflects video editing work with proven ability to innovate and tell high-impact stories on a variety of multimedia platforms. A detailed explanation of the roles performed on each video is required. Final candidates are required to take video production and news judgement tests.
- Broad knowledge of international events and politics and a strong familiarity regarding the situations in RFE/RL's target countries.
- A proactive, can-do attitude, with excellent interpersonal skills needed to build positive relationships within RFE/RL and outside broadcasters.