Director, Audience Engagement
- Full Time
The Director, Audience Engagement, is responsible for leading UC San Francisco’s enterprise-wide interactive marketing efforts through audience research, digital outreach, and engagement initiatives.
A key member of the Office of University Relations (UR) and reporting to the Executive Director, Digital Communications, this role is charged with cultivating UCSF’s online community of fans and advocates. S/he works closely with the University Relations leadership team and external partners to engage and inspire key UCSF stakeholders, identify new digital opportunities and expand existing audiences particularly for news stories about the University’s discoveries and innovation.
The Director, Audience Engagement, also partners across brand, media relations, community relations, and government relations to develop engagement initiatives that bridge offline and online experiences for our key audiences.
Responsibilities also include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop strong understanding of UCSF’s key audiences through market research and analytics.
- Develop and oversee a broad interactive marketing strategy that supports University Relations goals. The strategy should include social media, third-party website publishing, content partnerships, and email marketing.
- Partner with the Brand Communications team on a paid digital media strategy, including sponsored content placements and display advertising.
- Spearhead inventive ways to engage diverse audiences in UCSF news stories, join and lead national conversations on UCSF’s areas of excellence, and influence positive industry and media interactions with the University.
- Manage UCSF’s online reputation by tracking social media sentiment and work with the Assistant Director, Social Media, to develop appropriate messaging for UCSF’s flagship channels to positively impact sentiment.
- Build and manage partnerships with internal groups to deepen engagement with internal audiences and ensure alignment with brand and content strategy.
- Oversee digital marketing and social media policies and guidelines for UCSF, and design training opportunities.
- Serve as University Relations’ in-house analytics expert, overseeing a measurement program that includes the production of a monthly dashboard, quarterly staff report-outs, and an annual report. Advise UR leadership on the most effective ways to measure the success of our communications programs, and make recommendations to maximize results.
- Stay abreast of the latest interactive marketing trends and best practices to continually optimize UCSF’s program.
The ideal candidate has proven success working in digital content marketing, preferably with a background in digital media or journalism. S/he also has experience managing or supervising a team, and a passion for science, health care and/or higher education. This job requires excellent judgment, ingenuity, fiscal accountability, streamlined and professional communication and the ability to manage multiple projects under tight deadlines.
The Director, Audience Engagement manages one full-time position – the Assistant Director, Social Media – as well as one part-time, contract position – the Digital Engagement Specialist. S/he also oversees work being done across the enterprise, coordinating, advising and training UCSF communicators to maximize our collective impact.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter with your resume.
- Bachelor's degree in communications, marketing or related area
- 10+ years of professional experience in communications, public relations, or journalism
- At least five years of professional experience in digital communications
- At least two years of experience directly managing staff
- At least three years supervising the work of small- to medium-sized teams
- Expert knowledge of interactive marketing strategies, including social media and email marketing
- Expert knowledge and skills in the fundamentals of written communications and editorial style
- Expert skills to monitor and assess processes or services and make necessary improvements
- Expert skills to evaluate current programs and recommend and implement enhancements
- Expert skills to stay abreast of technological trends and directions and respond accordingly and appropriately
- Experience managing or supervising a team, and a passion for science, health care and/or higher education
- Proven success working in digital content marketing
- Expert interpersonal communication and political acumen skills to deal successfully with a variety of publics on both technical and content issues
- Expert project management skills to provide the highest quality digital communication within budget and time constraints
- Expert judgment, decision-making, and problem solving skills
- Excellent judgment, ingenuity, fiscal accountability, streamlined and professional communication and the ability to manage multiple projects under tight deadlines
- Experience translating scientific or other complex material into engaging stories for a broad audience
- Experience working at a nonprofit, university, or large, complex institution
- Background in digital media or journalism