- Full Time
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups and supporters to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Miami, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
We are looking for a dynamic, motivated and organized Communications Assistant to join Earthjustice’s Communications team. The role will provide administrative and internal communications support for the Communications Department, which is a large and growing team of almost 40 staff spread out across multiple offices around the country. The department encompasses many different types of communications disciplines, including advocacy campaigning, media outreach, visual storytelling and design, digital strategies, and editorial and social media content generation.
The Communications Assistant services the Vice President of Communications & Marketing in particular and the team as a whole, managing calendars, scheduling meetings, organizing logistics for retreats and gatherings, tracking invoices and spending, and performing other administrative duties as needed. The position would also work with the Internal Communications Coordinator on internal communications needs, such as assisting with maintenance of the organization’s internal website and writing staff profiles for internal circulation. The Communications Assistant reports directly to the Vice President of Communications and Marketing.
This position is located in San Francisco, CA.
Administrative Support (60%)
- Organizes and schedules departmental meetings and trainings; sets up AV equipment and prepares meeting materials; manages VP calendar and other calendars as needed
- Tracks and submits invoices; manages department credit card; creates budget sheets; assists VP and Communications Directors with overall budgeting process
- Serves as the Communications point person for general requests from within the organization and from external sources; forwards specific requests to appropriate Communications staffer; updates general departmental information, guidelines, documents and emergency staff contacts
- Assists the VP in the hiring and onboarding process of Communications staff and interns; screens resumes and applications, coordinates interviews, and conducts phone screenings when needed; manages onboarding process, including account set-ups, orientation to Communication processes, and welcome lunches; may help in the management of Communications interns when necessary
- Monitors and organizes Communications supplies, products and collateral; provides general office upkeep to the Communications digital and physical workspace
Internal Communications (25%)
- Assist the Internal Communications Coordinator with maintenance of the organization’s internal website, including adding new staff and deactivating accounts, and helping with creation and layout of pages on the site
- Write staff profiles for internal circulation; assists with overall content generation
- Oversee the Communications department space on the internal website including updating relevant documents
Events Planning (15%)
- Assists the VP in the organizing and planning of Communications retreats and team gatherings; serves as Communications point person for event coordination with other departments
- Researches locations, books lodging, coordinates travel, plans meals, procures supplies, and assists with the set-up and clean-up of events
- Assists and attends other Earthjustice outreach and marketing events when needed
- Bachelor’s degree and relevant communications or nonprofit experience preferred
- 2+ years of experience in administrative support required
- Proactive and collaborative work style; ability to shepherd projects through completion with appropriate follow-up, but also be self-motivated in identifying new projects to work on
- Excellent organizational skills, with great attention to detail; ability to manage and prioritize many projects and work in a sometimes fast-paced environment
- Proven ability to manage calendars, schedules, budgets, and event planning
- Mastery of Microsoft Office, in particular Outlook, Excel, Powerpoint and Word; experience with other digital project management tools like Basecamp and Slack greatly desired; experience with social media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, and LinkedIn preferred; experience with Adobe Creative Suites, HTML, or CSS a plus
- Solid writing and analytical skills; ability to listen and communicate clearly and professionally to different audiences including supporters, staff, board, clients and partners
- Professional, positive and approachable attitude; strong ethics; discretion and diplomacy at handling sensitive information a must
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations
- Contributes to recruiting, hiring, developing and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume online via the Jobvite system. Incomplete applications without cover letters will not be considered.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.