Public Relations and External Communications Manager
- Full Time
Jazz at Lincoln Center (JALC) is one of the world’s leading performing arts organizations, with a mission “to entertain, enrich and expand a global community for jazz through performance, education and advocacy”. A 501(c)3 organization that is now in its 30th year, JALC offers a full concert season with the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra (JLCO) with Wynton Marsalis (and many guests) at its home of Frederick P. Rose Hall, “The House of Swing”, on the corner of Central Park at Columbus Circle in New York City; regularly tours the JLCO in the US and abroad; operates a wide array of educational programs, from WeBop for kids through the year-long high school music program “Essentially Ellington”, now in its second decade; and has begun a global suite of jazz advocacy initiatives ranging from free HD live webcasts and online teaching tools to local community-based advocacy programs.
The Public Relations and External Communications Manager will be a creative and strategic individual responsible for the creation and execution of Public Relations campaigns for select Jazz at Lincoln Center (JALC) programs. The Manager will be in charge of all phases of strategy for local and national campaigns for JALC’s roster of education programs designed to advance the appreciation, understanding and performance of jazz. The Manager will also serve as the in-house publicist for JALC’s recording label, Blue Engine Records, and spearhead national public relations campaigns for Blue Engine Records’ releases and projects.
The Manager will also manage the public relations campaigns for select season concerts and featured artists.
In addition to fulfilling his or her own responsibilities, the Manager will support the Public Relations and External Communications team in its collective efforts to advance the organization’s external communications objectives.
- Spearhead coordination and execution of press activity at Education, Blue Engine and select concert events.
- Draft press materials including press releases, briefing sheets, fact sheets.
- Present weekly reports and updates of Public Relations activity for active campaigns.
- Work collaboratively with Jazz at Lincoln Center Education, Blue Engine Records and Concerts and Touring departments to garner information that will drive effective public relations campaigns.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with influencers and members of TV, print, online, radio media.
- On-site staffing at press events including gala and other fundraising events.
- Monitor press coverage and manage status reports.
- Research artists, music, historical significance for public relations and social media campaigns.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- A minimum of 4 years of public relations experience in the arts or music industries strongly preferred. Experience in public policy a bonus.
- Demonstrated high level of professionalism when working with organizational leadership and artists.
- Proactive and strategic thinker with ability to develop innovative ideas.
- Creative, positive and high energy individual with an ability to contribute to the efforts of an experienced staff.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Ability to collaborate across departments as well as lead initiatives or events.
- Strong relationships with arts, entertainment, public policy media.
- High attention to detail.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Strong computer literacy including working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Cisionpoint, Wordfly or similar email marketing application.
- Availability and willingness to work evenings and some weekends required.
- Knowledge and appreciation for jazz and Jazz at Lincoln Center’s mission.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including generous vacation time, medical, dental, a defined contribution plan and deferred compensation plans. Interested applicants should send a cover letter, salary requirements, and via the link below. Please include Public Relations and External Communications Manager in the subject line.
Jazz at Lincoln Center is an equal opportunity employer.