Public Relations Manager
- Full Time
The Optical Society (OSA) is recruiting for a Public Relations Manager. The successful candidate will work to develop, implement and manage projects to enhance organization-wide external communications and media coverage of key OSA initiatives and to raise awareness of OSA, optics, photonics and the value of science among key external audiences.
The manager builds strong relationships internally between the Director of PR and internal stakeholders (i.e. Membership, Meetings, Publications, and Customer Service). The manager has considerable external contact with members of the media, OSA volunteers, exhibitor PR contacts, and vendors.
This position provides project management and implementation efforts including: writing news releases, op-eds, newsletters, articles, and other communications materials; building relationships with external contacts, including OSA members, journal authors, meetings presenters, members of the media, industry analysts, and PR contacts at related organizations; managing media tracking and reporting; manages select social media content for the organization, as well as developing social media events, analytics tracking and content strategy; supporting or managing conference PR activities; staying abreast of industry and scientific news cycles and identifying ways for proactive media outreach; contributing to the overall goal of OSA’s communications team to create awareness and disseminate knowledge of the science of optics to external audiences.
- Writes, proofs and/or distributes news releases for all OSA programs, including journal research, conferences, topical meetings, etc. as needed.
- Identifies and contributes content for strategic writing opportunities:blogs, op-eds, fact sheets, letters to the editor, and enhanced content on OSA.org
- Serves as a liaison to OSA Foundation, Outreach Programs, Public Policy and Membership departments for press releases writing and PR outreach efforts as needed.
- Builds and maintains relationships with industry, business and local/general interest reporters, serving as a go-to resource for expert and information inquiries.
- Builds and maintains relationships with optics topical experts, for use in media outreach activities.
- Responds promptly and professionally to inquiries from current and prospective corporate members and media.Provides information about OSA products and services.
- Proactively positions OSA leadership and members as expert media sources.
- Works with corporate programs team to maintain and carry out PR benefits of OSA corporate membership.
Conference Media Room Activities
- Manages logistics and planning for media activities at select OSA conferences.
- Develops social media plan for two conferences, three congress meetings and leadership meeting.
- In coordination with the department leadership, manages all content across OSA’s primary social media accounts, including scheduling and editing of internal content requests and original content development. Follows best practices in frequency posting per channel. Ensure messaging consistency in all social media communications.
- Monitors activity/comments on OSA’s primary social media accounts and responds as needed, and coordinates with other content producers.
- Contributes to overall social media strategy, particularly as it relates to PR, media outreach and reputation management, including developing relevant hashtags and themes for social media
- Plans and executes social media events (e.g. Facebook contests, Twitter chats, live streams, etc.).
- Works with social media team leaders in other departments to track and report social media metrics via OSA dashboard tool.
- Provides mentoring and tutorials on social media best practices to other OSA staff
Online Newsroom Support
- Manages online content development and maintenance of online newsroom.
- Contributes to enhancing OSA’s multimedia efforts including video, audio or photo components in press releases, web video content, etc.
- Works with internal OSA Publishing and graphic design team for coordination on press/ paper release dates/times and banner development for the OSA homepage.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS/ABILITITES REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in pubic relations, journalism, communications or related field.
- 5-7 years media relations, public relations and/or communications work experience.
- Prior experience in a science-related field or organization a plus.
- Strong writing and editing skills required. Strong verbal communication skills and customer service orientation.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and work independently.
- Experience working with media monitoring services and reporter database search services. (e.g. Meltwater)
- Experience working with social media content and analytics (e.g. via Hootsuite, Google Analytics, Radian6).
- Proficiency in Microsoft office/Windows and online research.
- Detail orientation and ability to establish and maintain electronic record-keeping system and files.
- Ability to handle fast-paced environment and experience coordinating with vendors and consultants.
- Travel: limited travel for conferences is required.
- Language skills (Spanish or Chinese) or international experience is a plus.
Located in the Dupont Circle neighborhood of Washington, DC, OSA offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits. Please send your resume and cover letter with salary requirements.