WTVJ Assistant News Director
Location: Miramar, Florida
Specialty: Television & Film, Video
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
NBC6 is looking for an Assistant News Director with strong news judgment and the ability to lead and inspire a highly talented news staff to reach beyond established goals and who will perform these functions within the context of Company objectives, policies and procedures. This position will report directly to the VP of News.
· Manage day-to-day coverage, major events and breaking news.
· Supervise I-Team.
· Implements strategies and tactics to increase ratings and performance in all newscasts.
· Provides leadership to News professionals, driving culture of creativity and excellence in a multi-platform environment.
· Responsible for news staff development and training in coordination with other news managers and their work groups.
· Manage script approval process as delegated to individual managers.
· Ensures the daily goals and missions are executed, tracked and communicated to the staff.
· Evaluates workflow efficiencies ensuring editorial resources and expectations are clearly defined and met.
· Implements and has working knowledge of federal, state, and local laws impacting newsroom operations.
· Enforces newsroom’s policies and procedures, including deadlines and style.
· Back-up for VP of News as needed.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Minimum 5 years experience as a news manager.
· Minimum 3 years experience and success in coaching, leading and motivating a team of employees.
· Bachelors degree in Journalism, Communications or equivalent work experience.
· Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV through nbcunicareers.com to be considered.
· Willingness and ability to work long hours, late nights and weekends as required.
· Must be willing to work at the station in Miramar, FL.
· Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
· Strong Organizational skills and experiences in a mid/large market newsroom.
· Champions vibrant editorial processes and journalistic excellence.
· Proven ability to develop and convey organizational vision to all levels.
· Proven ability to multi-task and work well under pressure and have the ability to train, coach, and motivate staff members in a positive way to advance their skills and bring out the very best in each of them.
· Leads change in an inclusive manner.
· Excellent people management, leadership and coaching skills.
· Ability to multi-task in a dynamic, content driven, technology intensive environment.
· Energetic and diligent in launching major campaigns.
· Marketing Research skills.
· Experience preparing departmental budgets, developing strategic plans and presenting in front of large audiences.
· High level of experience in technical expertise across emerging multi-media platforms.
· Knowledgeable about FCC rules and laws pertaining to news broadcasting in multi-media platforms and employment and labor regulations.
· Possess strong writing, producing, creative, management and leadership skills.
· Must be creative, innovative, have an extremely hands on managing style, and be able to create and execute a winning strategy across multiple platforms.
· Must be a fierce competitor who plays to win.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.