RedNova Learning, part of Macmillan Education, produces English as a foreign language (EFL) materials for students and teachers in Latin America, East Asia, and the Middle East.
The role of the Publisher is to take overall responsibility for the segment publishing plan (print and digital), ensuring all material published meets the needs of key global segments and is produced on schedule and within budget. The Publisher leads an editorial team and collaborates with internal and external publishing stakeholders to research, conceptualise and commission content in line with the Macmillan Education business needs. This position reports to the Primary and Secondary Publishing Director and actively liaises with Global Marketing and regional Sales colleagues to feed into Macmillan Education’s Language Learning ELT publishing strategy and uses high levels of understanding of ELT products and markets to ensure that a profitable business plan is delivered.
Market/Segment Awareness and Publishing Planning
- Work with the Publishing Director and Sales and Marketing teams to identify segment publishing opportunities in line with the strategy.
- Implement research to establish customer needs in the context of the publishing plan.
- Propose a vision, publishing objectives and potential products for the development of the segment.
- With sales and marketing colleagues, monitor the performance of the segment/plan.
- Respond to trends, evolving commercial landscape, customer needs and technological innovations.
- Monitor the competition with a view to their potential impact on Macmillan’s publishing plan and strategy.
- Ensure future platform and product requirements for key segments are fed through to the digital roadmap.
- Monitor yhr perfoemance of any backlist titles and put strategies in place to secure ongoing adoptions, as required.
Concept and Content Development
- Support the commissioning team in developing concepts and specifying projects in the publishing plan.
- Ensure the concept and content development of products is fully aligned to the vision and segment need.
- Support the content development team to identify contributors and negotiate and administer contracts.
- Liaise and support the team to work effectively with instructional designers to develop product concepts.
- Ensure full communication of IA, concept and content development detail to the project manager.
- Liaise closely to ensure full sales and marketing buy-in and provide all necessary project information.
- Ensure all company content development procedures and best-practice guidelines are observed.
- Ensure that the segment plan is appropriate financially that it achieves the expected margins.
- Be accountable for project Investment Approvals and present to senior management.
- Ensure rigour in IA costings, forecasts and specifications in line with the publishing plan and vision.
- Have overall responsibility for the project budget of courses in line with the publishing plan.
- Ensure projects are planned and resourced effectively for timely delivery
- Collaborate with the Publishing Director to evaluate/budget for staff resources in line with publishing plan.
- Manage performance, training and development of staff.
- Delegate appropriately and maintain awareness of Health and Safety and Equalities issues relevant to staff.
- Recruit and induct new staff in line with management capacity.
- Keep up to date on ELT/EFL issues and trends, undertake background reading and attending conferences as appropriate.
- Use and develop existing skills and participating in in-house/external training sessions.
- Maintain and expand network of industry contacts to support publications.
Any other duties that can reasonably be expected of you.
Experience, Skills, and Qualifications
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Formal ELT/TEFL qualification
- In-depth knowledge of ELT primary and/or secondary markets and segments
- At least 3 years English language teaching experience
- Demonstrable ELT publishing experience at project leadership level
- Proven track record of successful ELT/EFL product development
- Effective line manager with the ability to empower team members and drive results through others
- Experience of working with a range of new media
- Appreciation for a wide international range of teaching and learning situations
- Sound business acumen and confidence to manage a project P&L
- Excellent team-working with the ability to navigate a stakeholder publishing environment
- An ability to work to tight deadlines and to manage numerous tasks
- Understanding of publishing technologies
- Excellent written English and knowledge of a second language
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Is able to work effectively in a highly complex, diverse, changing environment.
- A positive attitude and commitment to aims of the company
- Experience working in a global matrix organization
- Experience managing global teams
If you are an internal applicant please inform your line manager.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
For more information, visit our website at http://www.rednovalearning.com.
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster: