Senior Interactive Designer
Senior Interactive Designer
Team: UX + Design
Status: Regular, Full-time, Exempt
The UX and UI team is a group of designers passionate about creating usable, accessible and engaging digital experiences. We put users first and collaborate with stakeholders to design websites and applications that educate, entertain, inspire and express a diversity of perspectives. We also work closely with product teams and engineers to build scalable solutions for our member stations. You could say we are a small team, responsible for big things.
- Visual designs for a variety of breakpoints, mobile/tablet app design.
- User experience deliverables such as information architecture, wireframes, personas, user flows and journey maps.
- Creating style guides.
- Building out design systems.
What we are looking for:
- Growth Mindset:
- You are capable and excited to learn new things. You know that if you don’t understand something right away, you can learn by talking to experts or by doing research on your own.
- Problem Solver:
- You see problems like puzzles and are excited to help figure out viable solutions. You also know there’s usually more than one way to get things done.
- While you are detail oriented, you know when and where to be pixel perfect. Sometimes all you need is a pen and paper to get a point across.
- You have a strong work ethic, but know sometimes working “smart” is better than working “hard.”
- When it’s time ship your work, your files are organized and documented.
- Team Oriented + Collaborative:
- You are excited to collaborate with the digital design team and other stakeholders and know iterations make the best designs possible.
- You are capable of realizing greater stakeholder needs and helping others implement their visions.
- We know that design is a process, not an event, and it’s ok when things aren’t perfect right away. You know how to make the most of working on a team of talented and skilled team by collaborating.
- You are comfortable working with deadlines and are capable of creating and sticking to design schedules. While we are big fans of work-life balance here at PBS, we also love working hard and making great things for our users.
- You are excited to set goals and follow through to achieve those goals.
- You are capable of looking ahead to see what needs to be done.
- While you love working with a team, you know there’s a time for putting your head down and getting stuff done.
- Effective Communicator:
- You know being a good listener is one of the best ways to be a good communicator.
- You are clear, direct and respectful in your requests and feedback.
- You know a friendly tone goes a long way.
- Positive Attitude
- Last but not least, you have a positive, professional, can do attitude.
- Adobe Suite: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign;
- Responsive + Adaptive Design;
- Experience working with a variety of stakeholders;
- While you won’t be required to code your projects, a fundamental understanding of HTML/CSS is required;
- While a degree is preferred, we know experience, skills and talent come in a variety of formats.
If you don’t already know these things, at PBS you will learn:
- Designer + developer collaboration tactics and tools like Invision and Zeplin
- Design Systems
- Web Accessibility Standards
- Best Usability Practices
- User Testing
- Leading Design Thinking Workshops
- Lean UX Tactics
- Agile Product Development
- Mobile First Design
An online portfolio that shows off your skills is required. In your cover letter, please include why you think you would be a good fit for the PBS digital design team, what relevant experiences you have and what PBS means to you.
Compensation based on skills and experience.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Women, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities