Gear Patrol is seeking a talented and ambitious full-time Tech Editor to join our growing editorial team.
The Tech Editor is a core member of our content leadership team tasked with guiding Gear Patrol’s day-to-day tech coverage as well as our long-term vision and approach to the topic. Their primary responsibilities include helping tech writers shape, plan and produce technology-related content across all relevant Gear Patrol platforms including online, in print and across various social media channels.
Our ideal candidate is a creative, detail-oriented individual who is passionate about our product journalism mission and helping other content creators perform at their peak. Qualified applicants must have a strong track record of leadership and delegation, superb personal writing and editing skills, plus a network of industry contacts and expertise across a variety of tech-related topics, matched with an obsession for monitoring the technology product landscape.
Those who excel in this role must operate from a position of curiosity, have a discerning eye, and be an advocate for great taste. They should look for a story where one might not exist, have strong opinions and a witty, conversational writing voice as well as an instinct for what's next in products and product culture, and service-oriented lifestyle journalism. Like all Gear Patrol team members, applicants for this position should also be self-starters, maintain a nimble and positive mindset and lead by example.
Finally, candidates should be comfortable in a fast-paced, digital news environment; and work collaboratively with our Branded Content studio team when needed.
The candidate will report directly to the Deputy Editor.
- Help grow Gear Patrol’s tech audience and brand reputation across all relevant properties.
- Manage interns, apprentices, associate staff writers and staff writers assigned to the tech desk.
- Oversee the pitching, production and publication process for the tech desk team.
- Monitor the quality and quantity of all content produced by the tech desk to ensure it meets company goals and guidelines.
- Consult with desk team members to help them meet production, traffic, and affiliate goals.
- Advise the tech team on best practices and techniques for improving their ideation, writing and general production skills.
- Coordinate and help produce original photography and videos as part of a multimedia approach to our technology coverage.
- Create and produce select editorial, native advertising and content studio projects that help position Gear Patrol as an industry leader in technology content.
- Coordinate content production with subject-appropriate freelancers.
- Manage desk-specific production budgets and spending.
- Monitor the competitive tech publishing landscape and identify potential best practices, tools, and strategies that Gear Patrol’s editorial team should adopt.
- Foster a culture of excellence, accountability, creativity, and professionalism among the tech desk team members.
- Pitch, coordinate and produce select chapters or stories in Gear Patrol magazine.
- Collaborate with the Gear Patrol Studios team to strategize and respond to major desk-related native advertising and content studio projects.
- Coordinate with Gear Patrol’ social media team to produce and promote relevant editorial content for various social channels.
- Work to organize and maintain existing brand relationships with tech companies and develop strategies to form new ones.
- Serve as an on-camera representative of Gear Patrol’s editorial team across various social and third-party outlets as needed or pitched. (Not required.)
- Serve as a senior ambassador for Gear Patrol’s editorial team while attending external events, advertiser meetings, conferences, and trade shows.
- A love of products
- At least 2+ years of management and editing experience overseeing writers in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented editorial environment for a tech news or lifestyle publication.
- A honed editorial voice combined with advanced knowledge of grammar and writing.
- A history of helping others improve on their fundamental writing and content creation skills.
- A history of coaching others on the nuances of developing distinct and robust writing styles
- Experience using and reading reports from popular analytics platforms such as Google Analytics and Parse.ly
- The ability to convert reporting data into actionable editorial strategies.
- Strong project management skills
- Strong creative thinking skills
- A clear understanding of common online advertising, native content and affiliate commerce best practices.
- A highly organized, detail-oriented approach to work.
- The ability to work efficiently under pressure and to take feedback constructively
- A solutions-first mindedness to projects, responsibilities, and challenges
- BA in English, writing, journalism or equivalent experience
- A strong sense of urgency
- A willingness to travel and work odd hours as the assignment or news cycle dictates.
BENEFITS & PERKS
- This role is eligible for regular, transparently managed performance bonuses
- Healthcare plans are fully paid for by Gear Patrol for the primary individual
- Generous PTO package
- Generous paid parental leave
- Continuing education allowance
- Charitable gift matching
- Phone plan stipend
- Scheduled company week-long vacation in December
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your CV/résumé, LinkedIn profile link, and cover letter with the subject heading: “Tech Editor.” Please also include:
- A brief introduction of yourself.
- A constructive criticism of Gear Patrol’s tech content and explanations of how you’d work to improve it over the next 90 days. 250 words each, max.
- Tearsheets or links to tech writing/editing samples in the 500-1000 word range and one long form (1500+) on a tech topic Gear Patrol would cover.
- A draft of your own Staff Favorites Style Story describing your favorite products (this can be a condensed version. Search Staff Favorites Gear Patrol in Google for an example)
- Links to any other previous work you feel is applicable to GP.
Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. Please regard your résumé as received unless your email bounces back.