Computer-assisted Reporting and Data Specialist
- Full Time
The Newsroom Specialist is responsible for identifying, obtaining and analyzing data for short and longer-term reporting and assists the newsroom on access issues. The Computer-assisted reporting and data (CAR) specialist is an advocate for deep reporting using public records, public databases and house-built databases. The ideal candidate will be able to combine technical, statistical and reporting sensibilities, enabling them to collaborate closely with other reporters and editors to come up with innovative reporting strategies and shape the paper’s most impactful stories.
• Demonstrates strong news judgment and ability to generate and execute computer-assisted journalism content.
• Displays high degree of proficiency in analyzing databases and converting the data into high-quality, newsy, reader-focused content.
• Has deep knowledge of computer-assisted reporting trends, new technology and innovative approaches.
• Demonstrates ability to keep up with digital trends and comfortably navigate in the digital world.
• Has ability to juggle priorities and assignments.
• Displays ability to translate and explain computer-assisted reporting tactics to a non-technical audience.
Displays ability to collaborate with reporters at all levels of computer proficiency and advance their skills.
• Shows ability to manage technical work with rigor and accuracy.
• Demonstrates ability to coach editors and reporters to fully develop computer-assisted reporting stories, working throughout the process to enhance ideas, reporting strategies, story conceptualization and organization and the final edited copy.
• Displays strong collaboration skills in working with colleagues.
Education: Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• Five or more years of newsroom experience preferred.
• Experience with a wide variety of computer-assisted reporting tools including basics like Excel and Web searching and more advanced tools for obtaining data, analyzing data and presenting data.
• Proficiency in SQL is required.
• Data analytical skills and statistical analysis skills required
• Experience in one or more of the following advanced skills is preferred:
o Multiple programming languages;
o Advanced statistical analysis;
o Building tools for front-end users;
o Creating customer-facing visualizations with Java Script;
o GIS experience;
o Knowledge of database server management;
o Using development tools as a part of the team.
• Experience working with television or newspaper a plus
o Focus on internal customers. This is a job that works across beats and subjects with all levels of reporter. If your desire is to only drive your own stories, this is not the job for you.
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers, and digital sites. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company also offers a full suite of local and regional advertising services through its Local Solutions and Ideabar businesses. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly across all platforms. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
Organization: Cox Media Group
Primary Location: US-GA-Atlanta-223 Perimeter Center Pkwy NE
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Unposting Date: Ongoing