The National Urban League Washington Bureau seeks a Manager, Communications. Reporting to the Senior Director, External Affairs/Communications, the Manager is a member of the NULWB communications staff supporting both the Washington Bureau and the National Urban League. He/she develops and implements communications strategies for projects to effectively communicate NULWB’s work and messaging. In collaboration with NULWB staff to brand, lift up and advance the National Urban League, the Washington Bureau, its policy/legislative agenda and messaging coming out of Washington, DC to the public and affiliate movement.
- Support the planning, development and implementation of NULWB's marketing, communications and public relations activities, both external and internal
- Draft and disseminate rapid response press releases, statements, speeches, talking points, scripts, op-eds and other messaging materials
- Pitch TV, radio and print media outlets, locally and nationally, to secure news coverage for NUL President, NULWB Executive Director and designated spokespeople, to amplify NUL and NULWB policy priorities and positions in the media and to the public
- Support production of weekly podcast, “For The Movement”
- Daily distribution of NULWB Press Clips
- Administer and monitor both Washington Bureau and national social media platforms
- Actively develop and implement effective social media strategy for all National Urban League and/or Washington Bureau events, public appearances and to contribute to accomplishments for Impact and Visibility scorecard
- Write or proofread formal correspondence, in collaboration with the Senior Director, External Affairs/Communications, to (but not limited to): congressional members and/or staffs, White House, the Administration, and other dignitaries on behalf of National Urban League at large and the Washington Bureau
- Help provide outreach/communication messaging support to National Urban League partners, advocates and sponsors upon request or as needed
- Learn and remain knowledgeable of NULWB’s policy issues to provide and support rapid response to breaking news and developments in traditional and social media
- Provide logistical and event planning support for all Washington Bureau-hosted events, such as press conferences, open houses, briefings, workshops, meetings, roundtables, and conferences
- Cultivate and manage press lists and relationships with members of the media.
- Work across NY and DC offices to support campaigns, events and initiatives, as needed. Help manage temp and junior staff and interns.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism or related field or an acceptable combination of experience and training.
- Minimum of four years of applicable communications, media relations, and/or journalism experience in a small to medium sized non-profit, Capitol Hill, trade association, political campaign and/or public relations firm preferred.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Self-motivated, confident and passionate.
- Possess a strong appetite for news, policy and civil rights.
- Strong writing, editing, proofreading, layout and design skills, including ability to present concepts verbally.
- Possess excellent problem-solving, organizational and planning skills.
- Superior project management and time management skills.
- Experience in strategy development to accomplish communications objectives.
- Strong PC skills and understanding of current trends in digital media/social media.
- Ability to think outside the box and see through the trees to create big-picture ideas for improving communication efforts.
- Ability to independently manage projects/ tasks from concept to completion.
- Takes direction well.
- Possess an eye for details.
- Enjoy fast-paced, high energy, constantly growing organization.
- Must be a confident communicator and presenter.
- Experience in working as a team member as well as independently.
- Possess a wide degree of creativity.
- Up to 25% travel required.
To apply submit your resume, cover letter and writing sample please apply at the link provided.
Deadline to apply: October 4, 2918
National Urban League is an Equal Opportunity Employer