Data Visualization Editor
- Full Time
Barron’s is seeking a data editor to help us become an industry leader in data reporting and visualization. This person will establish Barron’s first data journalism desk and be responsible for both producing daily visualizations and evangelizing new storytelling formats in the newsroom. They will have a leadership role, responsible for influencing our reporting on a day-to-day basis and helping to build a culture of data-driven journalism.
- Report and produce stories, graphics and interactive applications for daily news and feature stories
- Assess the news value of data analysis/visualizations and prioritize tasks
- Develop tools, templates and publishing workflows for the newsroom to easily create rich media stories
- Train editors and reporters on data journalism techniques and tools
- Serve as a collaborative partner and editor with reporters, art department, developers and other teams to create and promote the highest quality data-driven and visual storytelling across platforms
- With guidance from the Design Director, work on style and aesthetic approach to graphic storytelling
- Work with the editorial development team to determine the best strategies for increasing reach and engagement through data-driven stories
- Skills appropriate for advanced visual and data journalism, including:
- Knowledge of D3 and illustrator
- Command of HTML, CSS and JS
- A scripting language such as Python or Ruby
- Statistics languages such as R
- Mapping applications such as QGIS
- Experience with Linux and cloud-based services
- A minimum of 5 years experience in a digital newsroom
- Familiarity with financial and investment news a plus
Applicants should please send a portfolio of their work and a CV.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put “Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: BARRON'S
Job Category: Strategy Group
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events. Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world’s largest news gathering operations globally. It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America’s largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron’s, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.Dow Jones is a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
Req ID: 13762