Palgrave Macmillan specialises in cutting-edge academic books in the Humanities and Social Sciences. It publishes monographs, journals, textbooks, professional and reference works, in subjects ranging from Political Science, Economics and History, to Literature, Linguistics and Business.
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the highly successful Palgrave Macmillan Editorial team, a leading global publisher in the Humanities, Economics, Finance, Business and Social Sciences. Our Scholarly Economics book program delivers high quality cutting edge research and practical guidance to academics, practitioners and policy makers.
We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic and highly organised graduate to provide editorial support to a Commissioning Editor for Scholarly Economics. The Editorial Assistant will provide valuable administrative work, foster strong working relationships with authors and oversee a number of titles across the scholarly list. Key responsibilities of the job include managing editorial processes, ensuring contracts are issued and completed accurately, preparing final manuscripts for transmittal to production, writing and editing cover copy and blurbs, liaising with authors and working with colleagues in sales, marketing, production and editorial.
- Input new book/author information into the internal systems and internally log new projects
- Ensure that author contracts and contributor agreements are processed, completed and logged
- Liaise with authors to regularly monitor progress of manuscript and support them with additional paperwork (permissions clearance, editorial form, publicity form and production form)
- Update necessary marketing and editorial information promptly and accurately, editing copy where required
- Research images for book jackets where appropriate. Prepare briefs and liaise with Production to ensure book covers are designed, approved and finalized as appropriate
- Manage the peer review process to assist the Editor in meeting commissioning targets
- Ensure that author orders and queries are quickly and accurately handled, working with Customer Services and Sales colleagues as appropriate
- Respond to and action external queries, consulting with colleagues as appropriate
- Respond to and action internal Production, Marketing, Design, Sales and Rights queries
The ideal applicant for this role will:
- Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent)
- have excellent communication and team-working skills in order to deal with people at all levels within the company and with external contacts
- be highly organised with the ability to prioritise numerous tasks
- be resourceful and proactive in dealing with problems and queries
- be self-motivated with a calm, professional approach and can-do attitude
- able to work on their own initiative
- be numerate and computer-literate, with a sharp eye for detail
- have proficiency in Microsoft Office
- experience managing contracts or working with editorial systems an advantage but not essential
This is a perfect position for someone wanting to establish a career in academic and professional publishing.
This position will be based in our office in New York. Applicants must have an existing right to live and work in the US.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster:
For information about our Research Editorial and Publishing career opportunities please visit the new Springer Nature E&P website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs.
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.