Senior Digital Communications Strategist
- Full Time
The Center for Court Innovation is a non-profit organization that works to create a more effective and humane justice system by performing original research and helping launch reforms around the world. The Center creates operating projects that have been documented to reduce the use of jail and prison, assist victims of crime, and strengthen communities. Nationally and internationally, the Center performs original research and provides consulting services to justice innovators.
The Communications and Technology Departments are seeking a Digital Communications Strategist to help meet the Center’s goals, including expanding its audience and influence through the strategic management of digital communication platforms, leveraging analytics and new technology. The job requires expertise in technology, web analytics and communications (the ability to write and edit) to increase the Center’s engagement with its audience through the Center’s website, newsletters and social media channels (including Facebook, Twitter and YouTube). The Digital Communication Strategist reports to the Director of Communications and the Director of Technology. They will also work closely with the Center's executive staff and development team.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Ensure the Center’s digital platforms—including website and social media platforms—stay up-to-date and effective in their ability to carry out the Center’s goals
- Balance the goals of the different internal stakeholders—departments, executives, and on-the-ground operating programs
- Use analytics and the latest best practices to inform digital strategies, expand the Center’s audience and provide meaningful feedback to Center decisionmakers and content producers
- Implement and oversee procedures to ensure that the Center’s website and diverse social media outlets have maintain up-to-date content
- Create and conduct training for staff about digital media platforms
- Identify and test new tools and platforms that can help the Center better meet its goals
- Diagnose and triage technical website issues, fixes and enhancements to website administrator, IT team, website vendor, or website management platform (Pantheon)
- Leverage MailChimp’s advanced capabilities
- Make simple changes to the Drupal site as needed
- Make simple custom pages, consistent with a positive user experience, as needed
- Write and edit basic content (staff bios and job descriptions, headlines, captions, publication descriptions, etc.) in collaboration with the Communications Department
- Attend editorial meetings with the communications team and provide analytics and other feedback to inform decisions about content
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will possess 5+ years of equivalent work experience, possessing a strong background in communications and digital strategy. They will understand the technology, have experience with Drupal and an advanced knowledge of Google analytics and MailChimp. They will be nimble about picking up new technology and staying on top of changes to analytics and social media platforms. They should also have strong editorial skills, including an understanding of best practices for communicating online. The ideal candidate will also have experience managing website vendors, be able to speak to technical stakeholders—such as the hosting company and website vendor—and to non-technical staff, to translate needs and data into actionable solutions. They will be equally comfortable thinking big picture and long-term to create and oversee processes that help achieve the Center’s goals, and in troubleshooting minor technical issues and editing content. They will be able to prioritize competing needs and work independently while being proactively collaborative. They will also be interested in helping reform the criminal justice system and eager to learn about the field.
Position Type: Full-time
Location: Manhattan, occasional travel to projects around NYC required.
How to apply:
Send resume, cover letter, salary requirements and a writing sample with Senior Digital Communications Strategist in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are unable to access email, you may submit materials by mail or fax to:
Center for Court Innovation
520 Eighth Avenue
New York, NY 10018
The Fund for the City of New York/Center for Court Innovation is an equal opportunity employer. The Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other category protected by law. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities as well as individuals with prior contact with the criminal justice system.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete an employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Visit the Center’s website at www.courtinnovation.org.
The Center for Court Innovation is a project of the Fund for the City of New York.