Assistant Managing Editor at SFMOMA
- Full Time
The Assistant Managing Editor is a key member of the Marketing, Communications and Visitor Experience team. The position supports departmental missions including meeting attendance and revenue goals, community and visitor outreach, deepening engagement with existing audiences, and building new audiences for the museum's exhibitions, programs, events, and online channels while building strong internal relationships across the organization.
The position is part of an in-house editorial team that works closely with departments across the museum to produce digital and print communications, including email newsletters, a members' magazine and quarterly calendar, biennial report, web content, ad campaigns, press releases, and event and in-museum collateral, that reach visitors, members, donors, press, and the general public.
- Collaborate with staff across the museum to conceptualize and write engaging targeted copy for various print and digital channels as needed
- Contribute to the biannual member magazine, including brainstorming on content ideas, refining and shaping the overall issue, writing articles, and gathering feedback as part of the sign-off process
- Write exhibition web pages and web copy for exhibitions as needed, including getting stakeholder sign-off for all projects
- Update web pages as needed to ensure consistency and accuracy
- Brainstorm, write and refine marketing copy
- Manage production of the quarterly member calendar, including gathering content, editing and reworking as needed, obtaining images and credit information, and working with Design
- Provide copyediting and proofreading services for all museum departments on event and exhibition descriptions, signage, invitations, press releases and other projects as assigned, applying rigorous standards to ensure factual accuracy and editorial consistency
- Support the Managing Editor in managing external vendors and contractors to create multilingual print and digital products
- Manage the institutional Editorial workflow (Wufoo) with the Editorial Project Coordinator and proactively improve processes
- Manage and mentor the Editorial Project Coordinator
- Partner with internal Design team to conceptualize and aggregate assets for layouts and deliverables
- Apply brand and style guidelines to maintain a consistent institutional voice
- Maintain and improve style guides and editorial templates
- Other tasks and projects as assigned
Education and Training: Possession of a baccalaureate degree in English, journalism, or related subject
Work Experience: A minimum of five years of writing, copyediting, proofreading, and production experience in digital and traditional publishing, with experience overseeing projects with multiple stakeholders and aggressive timelines. Management and mentoring experience .
Skills and Abilities:
- Exceptional writing, editorial, and storytelling skills
- Creative thinking and problem solving on tight timelines in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication, and an ability to deal effectively and tactfully with writers, museum staff, freelancers, and vendors
- Proven ability to coordinate multiple projects, set priorities, anticipate demands, and meet deadlines
- Experienced Wordpress user essential
- Facility with Asana or similar project management software
- An emphasis on editorial consistency, detail, and accuracy in factual information, spelling, and grammar
- Working knowledge of The AP Stylebook and The Chicago Manual of Style
- Familiarity with twentieth-century and twenty-first century art history and art terminology
- Computer fluency with an ability to learn new applications quickly
- Experience with an email service provider such as Wordfly preferred
Required writing samples:
Please include two writing samples of no more than 1,000 words each (excerpts are acceptable). Samples should be current, non-fiction and relevant to the position; for example, a published article, blog post or examples of marketing materials.
Physical Demands: Must be able to visually inspect work and be able to generate own work on computer.
Special Environmental Factors: Close office setting.
POSITION: Assistant Managing Editor
DEPARTMENT: Marketing, Communications, and Visitor Experience
SUPERVISOR: Managing Editor
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity.